The 17th installment of the Bi-weekly Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings are out. Every Monday and Friday the rankings will be based on the prior week or weekend games. Sometimes, there will be more than 16 teams in the Super 16 if enough programs have elevated their play. Therefore, you will see extra teams on the radar. We will also display the basketball teams that dropped out from week to week.
Clearly, there is a three-team race for the overall No. 1 seed on Selection Sunday. The Villanova Wildcats, Purdue Boilermakers and Virginia Cavaliers each went on the road to win close games. When road teams have struggled to win a game on every level, these potential No. 1 seeds have been impressive.
Some of these conferences have almost been decided with a number of games to play. As a result, the races are more interesting to get in the Top 4 than to earn the No. 1 seed for their respective conference tournaments.
Now, let’s get to the Super 16 Power Rankings.
Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings
- Villanova Wildcats (20-1, 8-1): Some teams do whatever it takes to win. This time, the Villanova Wildcats got an offensive rebound to end Marquette’s chances at an upset bid. As a result, they remain No. 1. Next Up: Thursday vs. Creighton
- Purdue Boilermakers (21-2, 10-0): Now, the Purdue Boilermakers have a 17 game winning streak. They went into Indiana to remain undefeated in Big Ten play. Next up: Wednesday vs. Maryland.
- Virginia Cavaliers (20-1, 9-0): The ACC is now Virginia’s to lose. They have been dominant, but their most impressive victory was on the road at Duke. They are in line for a No. 1 seed with a strong finish. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Louisville
- Cincinnati Bearcats (19-2, 8-0): Cincinnati remains perfect in the American. They are winning by an average of 20 points per game thanks to the No. 2 scoring defense in college basketball. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Houston
- Duke Blue Devils (18-3, 6-3): The Blue Devils had a chance to get in the ACC race. Unfortunately, a slow start against the Cavaliers’ defense had them playing from behind all game long. Next Up: Monday vs. Notre Dame
- Michigan State Spartans (20-3, 8-2): Michigan State is keeping the pressure in the Big Ten race. They have won four straight games and safely in third place. The Spartans might be the fourth No. 1 seed if they finish strong. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Penn State.
- Xavier Musketeers (19-3, 7-2): The Musketeers handled the Marquette Warriors for the second time this season. Their season sweep has them keeping pace with Villanova. They also have no game until next week. Next Up: Tuesday @ St. John’s
- Auburn Tigers (19-2, 7-1): The Big 12-SEC Challenge didn’t have Auburn in it. Instead, the Tigers had a chance to destroy the LSU Tigers. They lead the SEC that suddenly looks a lot better than they did entering the weekend. Next Up: Tuesday @ Mississippi
- Kansas Jayhawks (17-4, 6-2): The Jayhawks had no problem performing well in the Big 12-SEC Challenge. There is a reason why they lead the conference. They’ll have to play at a high level to stay in first. Next Up: Monday @ Kansas State
- Saint Mary’s Gaels (21-2, 10-0): The Gaels have won 16 straight games. They have eight more games to complete a perfect conference season. Next Up: Thursday vs. San Francisco
- Arizona Wildcats (18-4, 8-1): It’s not a lock that the Arizona Wildcats will win the PAC-12. However, they are looking at a top 2 seed in the PAC-12 Tournament. They have won six straight games. Next Up: Wednesday @ Washington State
- Ohio State Buckeyes (18-5, 9-1): Well, the Buckeyes lost their spot atop the perch in the Big Ten. A last second loss to the Penn State Nittany Lions ended their comeback attempt. The Buckeyes split with a win over Nebraska. Next Up: Tuesday vs. Indiana.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (17-4, 5-3): We just saw the same reason why Texas Tech beat Kansas on the road. Their victory over the South Carolina Gamecocks was highly impressive. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Texas.
- Kentucky Wildcats (16-5, 5-3): After defeating the West Virginia Mountaineers, these Kentucky Wildcats may have found their footing in college basketball. Furthermore, some of those SEC losses don’t seem nearly as bad. Next Up: vs. Vanderbilt.
- Florida State Seminoles (16-5, 5-4): The Florida State Seminoles have won three straight games. They defeated the Miami Hurricanes in overtime. But this is where things get interesting for the Seminoles. Can they avoid a bad loss? Next Up: Wednesday @ Wake Forest
- Tennessee Volunteers (15-5, 5-3): The Volunteers went into Hilton Coliseum and destroyed the Iowa State Cyclones. It was their first double digit victory in two weeks. It was also their first win over 20 points since the first two games of the season. The Volunteers are on a three-game winning streak. Next Up: LSU
On The Radar
New Mexico State Aggies (18-3, 6-0): Next Up: Tuesday vs. New Mexico
Wichita State Shockers (17-4, 7-2): Next Up: Thursday @ Temple
USC Trojans (17-6, 8-2): Next Up: Saturday @ UCLA
Clemson Tigers (17-4, 6-3): Next Up: Tuesday vs. North Carolina
Michigan Wolverines (17-6, 6-4): Next Up: Monday vs. Northwestern
- West Virginia Mountaineers (16-5, 5-4): Next Up: Saturday vs. Kentucky
- Oklahoma Sooners (15-5, 5-4): Next Up: Saturday @ Alabama
- Miami Hurricanes (15-5, 4-4):Next Up: Saturday @ Florida State