The 28th installment of the Bi-weekly Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings are out. Every Monday and Friday the rankings will be based on the prior week or weekend games. Sometimes, there will be more than 16 teams in the Super 16 if enough programs have elevated their play. Therefore, you will see extra teams on the radar. We will also display the basketball teams that dropped out from week to week.
The college basketball regular season is over. The Big Ten is done with their entire season and the Michigan Wolverines earned the Big Ten title by defeating the two best teams in the conference. As a result, the Wolverines catapulted into the Top 5. After the way they dismantled the Michigan State Spartans and Purdue Boilermakers, the Wolverines are certainly one of the candidates to win six games when the NCAA Tournament commences.
The final weekend of the regular season also saw some teams clinch the regular season title. The Cincinnati Bearcats used a brilliant defense to stymie the Wichita State Shockers. They won the American Athletic Conference by two games and should be a lock for a two seed if they win the AAC Tournament. However, it’s not a lock that they win.
Interestingly enough, the Xavier Musketeers clinched the No. 1 seed in the Big East. Meaning, it was a good weekend for the city of Cincinnati. Not that fans were rooting for the other to be successful. However, both teams winning their respective conferences means a boost all around. The Musketeers seem to be a lock for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. They just can’t have a bad loss in the Big East Tournament.
Two Mid-Major teams fell out of the Super 16, while another team entered this week. The Nevada Wolf Pack won the Mountain West Conference earlier in the week. However, they weren’t able to defeat the San Diego State Aztecs in the season finale. Meanwhile, the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders lost their season finale to the Marshall Thundering Herd. They gave the Blue Raiders their only two conference losses of the season. Now, let’s get to the updated Super 16 Power Rankings.
Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings
1. Virginia Cavaliers (28-2, 17-1): Defeated Notre Dame in a tough contest. Now waiting for their opponent in the ACC Tournament. The Virginia Cavaliers will receive a double bye. Next Up: ACC Tournament
2. Xavier Musketeers (27-4, 15-3): Nobody really expected the Xavier Musketeers to win the Big East. Although they lost to the Villanova Wildcats twice, they won the league by one game. As long as they don’t mess up, a No. 1 seed will be waiting. Next Up: Big East Tournament
3. Villanova Wildcats (27-4, 14-4): Villanova is the No. 2 seed in the Big East. They receive a bye just like Xavier. They won’t receive a regular season title. Maybe they can face the Musketeers one more time for the tournament title. Either way, a No. 1 seed is possibly on the line. Next Up: Big East Tournament
4. Michigan Wolverines (28-7, 13-5): For the second year in a row, the Michigan Wolverines won four games to win the Big Ten Tournament. They needed overtime to beat Iowa. Then they had relatively easy times against Nebraska, Michigan State and Purdue. Will they get a No. 2 seed? Next Up: NCAA Tournament
5. Michigan State Spartans (29-4, 16-2): Their full resume is done. The Michigan State Spartans lost in the semis of the Big Ten Tournament. They lost to the eventual conference champions. Their potential No. 1 seed is in jeopardy. Next Up: NCAA Tournament
6. Cincinnati Bearcats (26-4, 16-2): One defensive stop. That’s all it took for the Cincinnati Bearcats to defeat the Wichita State Shockers and win the AAC regular season title. The one-point win evened the season series. Maybe there will be a rubber match. Next Up: AAC Tournament
7. Duke Blue Devils (24-6, 12-5): Duke outscored North Carolina by 20 points in the second half to win. They victory also gave them the No. 2 see in the ACC Tournament. Next Up: ACC Tournament
8. Purdue Boilermakers (28-6, 15-3): The Purdue Boilermakers beat Rutgers and Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament. They lost to Michigan in the championship game. Next Up: NCAA Tournament
9. Wichita State Shockers (24-6, 14-4): The Shockers were unable to find a good shot against Cincinnati on the final possession. They lost the game and their opportunity to win the AAC No. 1 seed. Next Up: AAC Tournament
10. Gonzaga Bulldogs (27-4, 17-1): With many of the favorites losing in recent days, the Gonzaga Bulldogs have a chance to take advantage. They may move to a No. 3 seed or higher with two more wins. Next Up: WCC Semis vs. San Francisco
11. Kansas Jayhawks (24-7, 13-5): Kansas isn’t the only team to get throttled after winning their respective conference. However, their loss to the Oklahoma State Cowboys caused them to have no chance at a No. 1 seed. Next Up: Big 12 Tournament
12. North Carolina Tar Heels (22-9, 11-7): Instead of receiving the double-bye, the North Carolina Tar Heels are the sixth seed in the ACC. They’ll play on Wednesday night in a primetime slot. Next Up: ACC Tournament
13. Arizona Wildcats (22-7, 12-4): Arizona clinched the PAC-12 regular season title outright. DeAndre Ayton ended the season with a huge game. Clearly, the Wildcats are ready to move onto the postseason. Next Up: PAC-12 Tournament
14. Auburn Tigers (25-6, 13-5): Auburn earned the No. 1 seed in the SEC. They may not be Final Four contenders, but the Tigers will give teams a run for their money. Maybe they can find another gear after the injuries. Next Up: SEC Tournament
15. St. Bonaventure Bonnies (24-6, 14-4): The Bonnies won 12 straight games to end the regular season. They head into the Atlantic 10 Tournament as the hottest team in the conference. They should already have an at-large bid, but the Bonnies must not lose early on. They received a double-bye. Next Up: A-10 Tournament
16. Ohio State Buckeyes (24-8, 15-4): Lost to Penn State in the final seconds. Now, the Ohio State Buckeyes have a long wait until Selection Sunday. They’ll get a chance to rest up and practice. There’s even time for a mini training camp before the pairings are set. Next Up: NCAA Tournament
On The Radar
Saint Mary’s Gaels (28-4, 16-2): Next Up: WCC Tournament vs. BYU
Tennessee Volunteers (23-7, 13-5): Next Up: SEC Tournament
13. Nevada Wolf Pack (26-6, 15-3): Next up: MWC Tournament
14. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (24-6, 15-2): Next Up: C-USA Tournament
15. West Virginia Mountaineers (22-9, 11-7): Next Up: Big 12 Tournament