Winthrop vs. High Point College Basketball Pick, Odds & Prediction
- 25th Feb 2016
- Matt Barnes
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
The Winthrop Eagles (20-7) head to High Point to take on the Panthers (18-9) in what should be a high-scoring game. Action begins at 9:00 pm ET on Thursday, Feb. 25 and can be seen on ESU and ES3.
The Panthers enter this game hoping for similar success after edging Radford 75-72 in their last matchup. John Brown was the team’s leading scorer with 17 points on 7-for-14 shooting. The Eagles, meanwhile, are coming off an 81-80 win against UNC Asheville in their last game. Jimmy Gavin was the game’s top scorer, accounting for 26 points on 8-for-19 shooting.
Xavier Cooks has been hot for the Eagles, averaging 20.0 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.6 steals, 2.0 blocks, and 2.6 three-pointers over the past five games.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the nation’s top offenses match up. High Point ranks 28th in the country with 114.2 points per 100 possessions, while Winthrop is 33rd in that metric (114.0).
This is the second game of the season between these two teams, with the Eagles winning the first matchup 86-66. Gavin had a stellar game with 29 points, three rebounds, three assists, and six three-pointers.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
High Point sits at 11-5 SU against its conference, while Winthrop is 12-4 SU.
Ranked 28th, the High Point Panthers have an offensive rating of 114.2. The Winthrop Eagles rank 229th with a defensive rating of just 105.6.
The Winthrop Eagles average 72.9 possessions per game and 1.140 points per possession. The High Point Panthers earn fewer possessions with 67.5, but they score more points with 1.142.
The Winthrop Eagles have one of the best effective field goal percentages this season, ranking 15th in the country with an eFG% of 55.8%. When their opponents record a similar or higher eFG%, the High Point Panthers have a poor 3-6 record.
On average, High Point attempts 14.0 three pointers and Winthrop attempts 23.0. In games where they have 20 or more three point attempts, the High Point Panthers are even at 1-1 while the Winthrop Eagles have a solid 15-6 record.
High Point ranks 26th in the nation with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.45. Winthrop is ranked lower at 276th with an A/TO of .91.
High Point ranks 217th in offensive rebounds, while Winthrop ranks 84th in defensive rebounds.
Though High Point is one of the best in the country in forcing turnovers with opponents averaging a TO% of 22.3% (ranked 15th), Winthrop has a winning 2-1 record SU when its TO% is 22.3% or greater.
- The National League odds are pretty challenging, to be quite honest. If Clayton Kershaw is healthy, the award should be his.
- On the Monday March 27 edition of BangTheBook Radio, host Adam Burke answered listener questions on the Monday Mailbag segment and Kyle Hunter of SmarterSportsPicks.com joined us to talk NIT, CBI, CIT, and the Final Four.
- On Monday night, the Utah Jazz will be facing off against the New Orleans Pelicans, who are doing their best to put on a late charge as they try to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs.
- Game one of the 3-game series to determine the winner of the CBI will take place Monday night, in Conway, SC, as Allen Edwards and the Wyoming Cowboys of the Mountain West make the cross country trip to take on Cliff Ellis and the Sun Belt’s Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
- With North Carolina favored by a couple of possessions, the total is gradually increasing at 151.5 and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see those two trends continue.