Last Updated: 2017-11-07
During the middle of the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys fantasy football game, I made the joke that the Sooners’ defense would either lose or win Baker Mayfield the Heisman Trophy. Either, the defense would give up too many points, for the senior quarterback to overcome, or Mayfield will find a way to make enough plays to keep the Sooners within earshot of the College Football Playoff berth.
Well, the Sooners’ defense may have helped Mayfield take the Heisman lead, but it was actually a defensive stop that saved the day. When Mayfield threw his second interception of the day, the Sooners were on the brink of disaster. Mayfield and the Sooners were leading by three points. It was third down and Mayfield’s pass was picked off at the goal line with 3:05 left in the game. Mayfield made the tackle at the 35 yard line.
Moments later, the Sooners picked off Mason Rudolph’s pass. However, a “targeting” call was made, giving the Cowboys the ball inside the Sooners 40 yard line. Fortunately, Rudolph didn’t connect on a 4th down pass that could have been a touchdown. Otherwise, Mayfield would have had one minute for a game-winning drive. Instead, we are left with one of the most prolific games in Big 12 history.
Mayfield produced 598 passing yards and five touchdowns. He only completed 24 of 36 passes last Saturday. Meaning, Mayfield averaged almost 25 yards per completion. Keep in mind, he leads the country, averaging 16.5 yards per completion. Those two interceptions almost came back to haunt him in the Heisman race. However, that is water under the bridge now. As a result, Mayfield is a clear leader in the Heisman race.
Every other contender in the Heisman race fell off of a cliff. However, they will still be waiting for an opportunity to get in the race.
- Baker Mayfield- QB- Oklahoma Sooners: Currently, Mayfield is second in the country with 3,226 passing yards. He has a 71.7 completion percentage rate. Mayfield is also tied for No. 3 with 28 touchdown passes. He also has five interceptions. He’s added five rushing touchdowns. Yet, Mayfield has an opportunity to shine when he faces the Big 12’s best defense this weekend. Next up are the TCU Horned Frogs.
- Brandon Wimbush- QB- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Like Notre Dame’s College Football Playoff hopes, Brandon Wimbush is coming out of nowhere. The Sophomore QB has scored 13 rushing touchdowns. He’s thrown for 11 more touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Wimbush is averaging 6.3 yards per carry and he led the team to victory without help of his dynamic running back Josh Adams. Next game vs. Miami Hurricanes.
- Mason Rudolph- QB- Oklahoma State Cowboys: Mason Rudolph leads the nation with 3,314 yards. He also has 27 touchdown passes.Rudolph Could have been on the top line if he finished the game-winning drive against the Sooners. Rudolph has 7 interceptions. Like Mayfield, Rudolph threw 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions in Bedlam. He also threw for 448 yards.
- J.T. Barrett- QB- Ohio State Buckeyes: J.T. Barrett threw an interception for a touchdown on the first play of the game. He finished the game with four interceptions and a huge loss to the Iowa Hawkeyes. Now, Barrett has gone from the frontrunner to another player looking for a shot at the Heisman. What a difference a week makes.
- Saquon Barkley- RB- Penn State Nittany Lions: Here’s the problem with Saquon Barkley. He only has 864 yards on 152 carries. Barkley is averaging 16.8 yards per carry. He’s averaging 5.7 yards per carry. The Nittany Lions have become accustomed with not handing Barkley the ball and it has backfired over the last two weeks. He received 17 touches and didn’t score in the loss to Michigan State.
- Jalen Hurts- QB- Alabama Crimson Tide: Jalen Hurts threw for one touchdown pass and ran for another score. He accounted for 227 yards of offense and led the Alabama Crimson Tide to their ninth straight win.
- Nick Chubb- RB- Georgia Bulldogs: Did you know that Nick Chubb has more rushing yards than Saquon Barkley? He is averaging 6.2 yards per carry, while scoring nine rushing touchdowns. Sony Michel is also dominating in the run game with 710 rushing yards and nine touchdowns. Although there are quite a few big games left, the Bulldogs winning can put the spotlight on one of the running backs.
- Dante Pettis- WR/KR- Washington Huskies: Dante Pettis has seven touchdown receptions this season. He also has accounted for four punt return touchdowns. With big games coming down the stretch, Pettis could really find himself in the running for the Heisman, especially if the Huskies win the PAC-12.
<< Previous PostNext Post >>
Checkout our Free Pick Contests in the Tracker!
Win Cash Prizes Daily! Follow Cappers Picks.
Click Here Now