Wagner vs. LIU College Basketball Pick, Odds & Prediction
- 11th Feb 2016
- Donald Phillips
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
The Northeast’s top team will be on the road when the Wagner Seahawks (15-8) head to Steinberg Wellness Center to face the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds (11-12). Action begins at 7:00 pm ET on Thursday, Feb. 11.
The Blackbirds are hoping to rebound after their 98-90 loss to Sacred Heart in their last matchup. Despite the loss, Aakim Saintil earned his first double-double this season with 23 points and 11 assists. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are coming off a 72-51 win against Mount St. Mary’s in their last game. Corey Henson was the game’s top scorer, accounting for 22 points on 7-for-14 shooting.
Over the last five games, Martin Hermannsson has taken his game to another level for the Blackbirds, averaging 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 2.0 steals, and 1.4 three-pointers. Michael Carey has been hot for the Seahawks. In the same five-game span, he is averaging 17.2 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.0 assist, 1.2 steals, 0.6 blocks, and 0.6 three-pointers.
It will be a showdown of conflicting tempos, as the fast-paced Blackbirds (ranked 23rd in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the slow-paced Seahawks (290th in possessions per game). The Seahawks could also control the offensive glass in this matchup, as they rank 22nd in the nation in OR% at 37.2%. The Blackbirds, meanwhile, place near the bottom of the nation (291st) on the defensive backboards with a DR% of 67.8%.
This is the second game of the year between these two teams, with the Blackbirds winning the first matchup 71-70. Saintil had a standout performance in the victory, putting up 27 points, three rebounds, four assists, and three three-pointers.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
Pick: Take Wagner
The Wagner Seahawks hold a solid 8-4 SU record in matchups against Northeast Conference rivals, while the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds currently sit at 5-7 in these games.
The Wagner Seahawks have a defensive rating of 94.9 (ranked 23rd), while the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds have an offensive rating of 101.8 (ranked 253rd).
Wagner has an average field goal percentage of 42.1%. LIU Brooklyn is a losing 6-10 when opponents have a similar or higher field goal percentage.
The LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds and the Wagner Seahawks both rank higher in average field goal percentage when compared to their effective field goal percentages. LIU Brooklyn is 297th and 276th in the nation for eFG% and FG% respectively, while Wagner ranks 284th and 269th in these categories.
Wagner, the 45th-ranked team in rebounding, registers an average of 39.7 rebounds per game. LIU Brooklyn does worse, ranked 136th with 37.1.
When it comes to offensive rebounds, Wagner ranks 18th. LIU Brooklyn ranks 217th in defensive rebounds.
Wagner has forced an average turnover percentage of 21.9% this season. LIU Brooklyn has a subpar 2-5 record when its TO% is 21.9% or higher.
- The Miami Heat will start their three-game road trip in Boston where they will matchup with the Celtics on Sunday afternoon.
- The Rangers visit the Ducks on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 9 pm Eastern.
- The Thunder visit the Rockets on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 3:30 pm Eastern on ABC.
- Venezia @ Caserta Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 07:00 EDT Spread: Caserta +3 Total: +149.5 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, JuveCaserta Basket (sometimes spelled Juve Caserta Basket), also known as Pasta Reggia Caserta, hosts Reyer Venezia Mestre, or …
- Sassari @ Cremona Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 12:00 EDT Spread: Cremona +0.5 Total: +148 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, Guerino Vanoli Basket (also known as Vanoli Cremona), hosts Dinamo Basket Sassari, currently known as Dinamo Banco di …