UTEP at FIU College Football Prediction and Preview
- 09th Oct 2015
- Gareth Mcknight
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
The Texas-El Paso Miners head to FIU Stadium to take on the Florida International Golden Panthers this week. It’s been a rough season for FIU (2-3), and after losing three of its last four, things haven’t gotten any better. The game will air Saturday, Oct 10 at 12:00 p.m. ET on AMSN.
In last week’s matchup, FIU lost to Massachusetts 24-14. Thomas Owens had a quality performance in the loss, grabbing three receptions for 20 yards and one TD. UTEP also came up short, losing to Texas-San Antonio 25-6. LaQuintus Dowell had a solid performance running the ball for the Miners, rushing four times for 12 yards.
FIU is a 13-point favorite against the Miners.
Even with a subpar Straight Up (SU) record of 2-3, the Golden Panthers played better than expected, going 3-2 Against The Spread (ATS) so far this year. The Golden Panthers throw the ball often. Their 39.8 passing attempts per game are 15th-highest in the country. As for the FIU defense, a few key matchups could decide this game. The Miners are not likely to run the ball very often at FIU. They are one of the least-effective running teams in the nation, averaging 138.8 rushing yards per game.
As for their opponent, the Miners head into Week 6 with records of 1-4 ATS and 2-3 SU. FIU needs to keep its intensity through the fourth quarter against the Miners, who average 10.6 points in the final 15 minutes of regulation. It’ll be hard to get the ball out of the hands of UTEP’s offense this week. The team’s average time of possession is 36:45, ranking them third in the country.
Predictions: SU Winner – Florida International, ATS Winner – Florida International
Texas El Paso is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games.
Texas El Paso is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games.
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Texas El Paso’s last 12 games.
Texas El Paso is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games on the road.
FIU is 1-0 SU when carrying a lead into the fourth quarter this year.
The FIU rushing attack is ranked only 112th nationally, while the UTEP run defense is ranked 89th. The Miners rushing game is ranked just 105th, compared to the 39th-ranked run defense of the Golden Panthers.
- The Milwaukee Bucks will try to avoid elimination on Thursday night when they host the Toronto Raptors in Game 6 of the First round NBA playoffs.
- The Oakland Athletics visit the Los Angeles Angels on Thursday, April 27th with a start time of 10:07 pm Eastern.
- The Houston Astros visit the Cleveland Indians on Thursday, April 27th with a start time of 6:10 pm Eastern on MLB Network.
- The San Antonio Spurs visit the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 of their Western Conference Playoff Series on Thursday, April 27th with a start time of 9:30 pm Eastern on TNT.
- Rain washed out last Sunday’s race in Bristol and pushed it to Monday. Fortunately, it was a short trip for the teams and hopefully weather won’t be a factor for the Toyota Owners 400.