UNC Greensboro at Mercer Free CBB Pick
- 29th Jan 2016
- Aaron Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
It will be a battle between Southern opponents when the Mercer Bears (15-6) welcome the UNC Greensboro Spartans (8-13) to Hawkins Arena. Action gets underway at 4:30 pm ET on Saturday, Jan. 30 and will air on ES3.
The Bears come into this game on a high note after topping VMI 73-58 on Thursday. Jestin Lewis was the game’s high scorer with 22 points on 7-for-11 shooting. The Spartans, meanwhile, are coming off a 102-95 win against Citadel on Thursday. Kayel Locke led the game in scoring with 30 points on 11-for-14 shooting.
Second-chance opportunities are expected to be few and far between for the Spartans in this contest. They rank 270th in the nation in offensive rebounding (OR% of 27.5%), while Mercer is 15th-best in the nation on the defensive backboards (DR% of 75.6%).
Mercer is a nine-point favorite against UNC Greensboro and the Over/Under (O/U) for this game is unavailable as of now.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
The Bears have gone 15-6 Straight Up (SU) and 9-7 Against The Spread (ATS). The Bears have a distinct advantage on the boards in this matchup. They are the 26th-ranked rebounding team in Division I, averaging 41.3 per game, while the Spartans rank 287th in the nation with 34.1 per game. The Bears have really locked down opponents on the defensive end, ranking 15th in the country with a .385 opponent field-goal percentage.
Across the court, the Spartans have records of 7-7 ATS and 8-13 SU. The Spartans rely heavily on three-pointers on offense, ranking 42nd in the nation with 184 made (8.0 per game).
The conference foes will be facing off in their first head-to-head clash of the season. When they last met the Bears were winners, bumping their SU record to 2-0 over UNC Greensboro. The teams are even ATS, with a 1-1 record.
Predictions: SU Winner – Mercer, ATS Winner – Mercer
UNC Greensboro is 1-13 SU in its last 14 games on the road.
Mercer sits at 5-3 SU against conference rivals, while UNC Greensboro has an even 4-4 SU record against its foes.
The UNC Greensboro Spartans average 68.9 possessions per game and 1.057 points per possession. The Mercer Bears earn fewer possessions with 66.7, but they score more points with 1.073.
The UNC Greensboro Spartans average an effective field goal percentage of 51.6% this season. The Mercer Bears are a perfect 2-0 in games where opponents have an eFG% of 51.6% or greater.
On average, Mercer attempts 17.0 three pointers and UNC Greensboro attempts 24.0. In games where they have 20 or more three point attempts, the Mercer Bears have a 3-2 record while the UNC Greensboro Spartans have a poor 7-12 record.
Mercer, the 26th-ranked team in rebounding, register an average of 41.3 rebounds per game. UNC Greensboro does worse, ranked 287th with 34.1.
UNC Greensboro ranks 259th in offensive rebounds, while Mercer ranks at 15th in defensive rebounds.
On average, UNC Greensboro forces a turnover rate of 18.2%. When Mercer turns over the ball at a similar or higher rate, the team has a winning 8-5 record.
- The Miami Heat will start their three-game road trip in Boston where they will matchup with the Celtics on Sunday afternoon.
- The Rangers visit the Ducks on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 9 pm Eastern.
- The Thunder visit the Rockets on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 3:30 pm Eastern on ABC.
- Venezia @ Caserta Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 07:00 EDT Spread: Caserta +3 Total: +149.5 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, JuveCaserta Basket (sometimes spelled Juve Caserta Basket), also known as Pasta Reggia Caserta, hosts Reyer Venezia Mestre, or …
- Sassari @ Cremona Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 12:00 EDT Spread: Cremona +0.5 Total: +148 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, Guerino Vanoli Basket (also known as Vanoli Cremona), hosts Dinamo Basket Sassari, currently known as Dinamo Banco di …