Last Updated: 2018-02-05
The 19th installment of the Bi-weekly Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings are out. Every Monday and Friday the rankings will be based on the prior week or weekend games. Sometimes, there will be more than 16 teams in the Super 16 if enough programs have elevated their play. Therefore, you will see extra teams on the radar. We will also display the basketball teams that dropped out from week to week.
We knew the competition would get stiff for the top teams in college basketball this weekend. What we didn’t know was the carnage that would take place by all the blue bloods on Saturday afternoon. It’s a great day of basketball. However, certain things remain the same.
The top three teams continue to build their No. 1 seed resumes. Villanova, Purdue and Virginia all won games. The Boilermakers and Cavaliers won road games, while the Wildcats stopped their nemesis Seton Hall at home.
Bang The Book Super 16 Power Rankings
- Villanova Wildcats (22-1, 10-1): Remember, Villanova had a tough time against their next opponent. Duke found out just how tough a winless team from the Big East can be. Next Up: Wednesday vs. St. John’s
- Purdue Boilermakers (23-2, 12-0): The Purdue Boilermakers are playing for the top spot in the Big Ten. Things should finally get interesting in multiple ways. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Ohio State
- Virginia Cavaliers (22-1, 11-0): The Virginia Cavaliers held Syracuse to 44 points at home. Part of that was the great Virginia defense. Most of that was the putrid Syracuse offense. Next Up: Wednesday @ Florida State
- Cincinnati Bearcats (21-2, 10-0): The Cincinnati Bearcats remained perfect in the AAC. Are they really in play for a No. 1 seed? If they keep winning, anything is possible. Next Up: Tuesday vs. UCF
- Michigan State Spartans (22-3, 10-2): The Spartans continue to flourish in the Big Ten. They’ll know if they have a chance to win the Big Ten this week. Next Up: Tuesday @ Iowa
- Xavier Musketeers (21-3, 9-2): Xavier is keeping pace with Villanova after a tough win over Georgetown. They have a tough road game coming up. The Big East race should continue to be thrilling. Next Up: Tuesday @ Butler
- Auburn Tigers (21-2, 9-1): The Auburn Tigers keep winning and they may run away with the SEC this week. The Tigers are also in play for a No. 1 seed. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Texas A&M
- Saint Mary’s Gaels (23-2, 12-0): Saint Mary’s is playing great basketball. They need one more win for the second round of the epic showdown in the West Coast Conference. Next Up: Thursday @ LMU
- Clemson Tigers (19-4, 8-3): Clemson has taken this injury and thrived with 3-point shooting. The Tigers might earn the No. 2 seed in the ACC. They should coast to double digit wins. Next Up: Thursday vs. Pittsburgh
- Tennessee Volunteers (17-5, 7-3): Well, if Tennessee wants any chance at winning the SEC title, they need to knock off Kentucky on the road. They are a couple games in back of Auburn, so they must keep pace. The Volunteers are getting better each week. Next Up: Tuesday @ Kentucky
- Ohio State Buckeyes (20-5, 11-1): Ohio State can take control of the Big Ten race with a win. They can fall out of the Big Ten race with a loss. Either way, the Buckeyes are playing great basketball. Next Up: Wednesday @ Purdue
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (19-4, 7-3): Texas Tech has not fallen off after a great start to the season. Now, they are looking like a favorite to win the Big 12. However, they must keep winning. Next Up: Wednesday vs. Iowa State
- Michigan Wolverines (19-6, 8-4): Michigan is fun to watch and they have enough offense to really ruffle feathers in the NCAA Tournament. They are just trying to get as a high a seed as possible in the Big Ten. Next Up: Saturday vs. Minnesota W
- Duke Blue Devils (19-4, 7-4): Duke lost to St. John’s. Now, Duke has the first of two rivalry games this week. Can Duke play defense enough to get back in the ACC race? Next Up: Thursday @ North Carolina
- Kansas Jayhawks (18-5, 7-3): Kansas fell into the trap at Oklahoma State. All of a sudden, they are in a tie for first in the Big 12. Another tough conference game is approaching. Next Up: Tuesday vs. TCU
- New Mexico State Aggies (20-3, 8-0): It’s time to give credit to the New Mexico State Aggies. They are undefeated in the WAC and look like a team capable of making a Sweet 16 run in March. Next up: Saturday vs. CS Baker
On The Radar
Miami Hurricanes (16-5, 5-4): Next Up: @ Virginia Tech W
Florida State Seminoles (17-6, 6-5): Next Up: Win vs. Louisville
Washington Huskies (17-6, 7-3): Next Up: Thursday @ Oregon
Rhode Island Rams (19-3, 11-0): Next Up: Friday vs. Davidson
- Arizona Wildcats (19-5, 9-2): Next Up: Thursday vs. UCLA
- Kentucky Wildcats (17-6, 6-4): Next Up: Tuesday @ Tennessee
<< Previous PostNext Post >>
Checkout our Free Pick Contests in the Tracker!
Win Cash Prizes Daily! Follow Cappers Picks.
Click Here Now