You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Sunday's List of 13: Wrapping up a college sports Saturday.......
13) If you went to bed before 11pm Saturday, you missed a lot; ton of drama in the late games, as the college football season took a dramatic turn with a series of wild finishes. Put it this way; if you root for a top 10 team and that team isn't in the SEC, you probably had a bad day.
12) USC led 38-14 at Oregon with 3:28 left in third quarter, but Ducks missed a FG in the last 0:10 that would've tied the game. In the last five weeks, Trojans won as underdogs of 9-13 points, and took Stanford to OT as an 8-point underdog. USC is a top 10 team that can't go bowling. USC should have beat Stanford and if they had would they be talked about going to the National Championship game if they could go?
11) Florida State missed a FG at home in the last minute that would have broken Virginia's heart; Cavaliers hung on for 14-13 win, in game marked by lot of confusion with the officials in the game's last minute. Thats the good news for Virginia; bad news is that coach London will probably be on the short list to replace Joe Paterno at Penn State. He's a good coach.
10) When was last time Texas lost in basketball and football on same day? Kansas State had only 8 first downs in Austin, was outgained 310-121, but somehow upset the 6-4 Longhorns 17-13, a loss that has to put Mack Brown back on the Texas hot seat. .
9) Poor Dennis Erickson had his heart ripped out for third week in a row, as Arizona State lost 31-27 to rival Arizona; game ended with ASU on the 9-yard line. Sun Devils are 6-5, probably the most disappointing team in the country. Erickson will be very glad to see November end.
8) Tennessee almost never loses to Vanderbilt, but they were a home dog to the Commodores in a game they needed to stay alive for a bowl bid. It doesn't happen often, but Vols scored a defensive TD in OT on a 90-yard INT, giving Tennessee a 27-21 win. Vols have to beat Kentucky next week to finish 6-6 and go bowling. Music City Bowl?
7) Underdogs are now 20-2 vs spread in WAC games they went 3-0 this weekend; Louisiana Tech has come out of nowhere to lead the WAC.
6) Cincinnati Bearcats were a top 25 basketball team. Key word is were since the Bearcats lost at home to Presbyterian 56-54. The Blue Hose lost to Duke last week by 41 points.
5) Georgia Southern had 302 rushing yards in a 24-14 loss at Alabama; not only are the Eagles not in the SEC, they're a I-AA team that completed one pass in seven tries Saturday. Betcha Nick Saban loved that stat.
4) Speaking of I-AA teams, Florida trailed Furman 22-7; game was 40-32 in 4th quarter, before Gators scored couple of defensive TDs to put the game away 54-32. Paladins had 233 rushing yards. Florida is bowl-eligible, but playing terribly as the season winds down.
3) You know your defense sucks (UTEP) when other team runs 60 plays in a game (Tulsa), and only seven of them come on 3rd down.
2) If I had a Heisman vote, I would vote for Robert Griffin III of Baylor. Most Heisman voters probably don't know what color uniforms the Bears wear, so he ain't winning, but he might be the best player in America.
1) Right now, UCLA is in line to play in the Pac-12 title game, but they still have to play USC; if Bruins lose that game, a 5-4 team in league play will compete for the league championship. Terrific.