Last Updated: 2018-06-04
The Washington Capitals find themselves two games away from winning their first Stanley Cup championship after winning Game 3, 3-1. Game 4 is Monday night with the Vegas Golden Knights looking to tie the series before it returns back to Nevada.
Lines provided by BetDSI Sportsbook.
- Vegas Golden Knights (+105) vs. Washington Capitals (-125)
Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals was not nearly as close as the final score would indicate, as the Washington Capitals thoroughly dominated the contest over the Vegas Golden Knights, 3-1. After a scoreless first period, Washington would take the lead just 70 seconds in the second frame when Alex Ovechkin scored his 14th goal of the playoffs, tying a Washington Capitals record for goals in a playoff season.
It would remain a one-goal game until 12:50 when Evgeny Kuznetsov blasted a rebound in from the high slot area for his 12th goal of the playoffs and Washington led 2-0 heading to the second break.
At 3:29, Vegas would cut the deficit in half on the fourth goal of the postseason by Tomas Nosek, but a little over 10 minutes later Devante Smith-Pelly netted his fifth goal of the playoffs to clinch the victory.
Braden Holtby had his second outstanding outing, stopping 21 of the 22 shots he faced including 17 over the final two periods of the contest.
Vegas Golden Knights
- Golden Knights are 5-0 in their last five games on a Monday night.
- Golden Knights are 20-6 in their last 26 games when they have been held to two goals are less in the previous contest.
- Golden Knights are 16-5 in their last 21 games against teams with a winning record.
- Golden Knights are 13-5 in their last 18 games overall.
- Capitals are 4-1 in their last five games overall.
- Capitals are 4-1 in their last five games against teams who have a winning percentage greater than .600.
- Capitals are now 2-5 in their last seven the Stanley Cup finals games.
- Capitals are 6-2 in their last eight games against Western Conference opponents.
- Capitals are 5-2 in their last seven games following a victory.
Vegas has gone under in five of their last six games on the road and have gone under in five of their last six games on the road when facing a team that has a winning percentage at home of greater than .600. Vegas has gone under in four of their last five games overall. Washington has gone under in two of their last four games at home when facing a team with a winning record on the road and has gone under in two of their last four games at home overall. They have gone under in five of their last eight games overall and have gone under in three of their last five Stanley Cup finals games.
This has been a series of extremely close contests as every game in the series has been decided by two goals or fewer. Holtby has only had one bad game in the series, Game 1, while Marc-Andre Fleury has been great in all three games. Goaltending should continue to be the difference maker in Game 4. This is where Vegas has the advantage, and there will be skeptics about Washington until they can win it all.
Prediction: Look for the Golden Knights to even the series, 3-1.
<< Previous PostNext Post >>