NFL Mock Draft: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Draft Targets and the No. 19 Projected Pick
After years of being the laughing stock of the National Football League, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are finally showing signs of turning the corner. They have a young talent pool of players on both sides of the ball that is helping this team become a credible football franchise that has a chance to contend as early as this season. This is more than just contending for a playoff spot because if they build the right way they could be Super Bowl contenders.
Last year the Buccaneers were vastly improved and they had several big wins that sent a notice to the league that they are a tough team to beat and no longer a doormat that gets beat down on a regular basis.
This was quite clear in 2016 as the Buccaneers finished second in the NFC South standings. They finished above the Carolina Panthers and the New Orleans Saints and the only team that they could not beat was the eventual Super Bowl representatives in the Atlanta Falcons. The future looks very bright for this football franchise, but they will need to get some more talent from the NFL draft if they want to stay on a positive upswing.
Buccaneers Draft Needs
The Buccaneers have several needs that they could address in the draft but luckily quarterback is not one of them. Jameis Winston is improving with every year and is looking better and better with the more experience that he gets.
One of the most glaring needs for this team is running back. Doug Martin fell out of favor with the coaching staff and is now serving a four game suspension so his status is uncertain at best. Although the Buccaneers can target more players in free agency, the draft could provide a fertile ground for runners and other options.
The Buccaneers could also use some help on defense and they could select a linebacker, safety or even look for a player to add to the defensive front.
Buccaneers Potential Targets
The defensive picks at this point in the draft will still feature many quality players depending on who is left when the Buccaneers make their pick. On defense the Buccaneers could target a defensive player like Jabrill Peppers out of Michigan or his teammate Taco Charlton.
On offense the Buccaneers are a team that could benefit from grabbing an offensive lineman up front. That could bolster the running attack and provide the most prized possession on this squad with protection by keeping Winston upright. That could make Cam Robinson an offensive tackle out of Alabama their number one target.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select….
The Buccaneers will use this pick on the best player available. If that plays out the way they think it might they will select Christian McCaffrey out of Stanford. The Heisman candidate will replace Doug Martin and will instantly become the future of the Bucs franchise. With Winston leading the way and McCaffrey running the rock the resurgent Buccaneers are here to stay.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.