NFL Mock Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Targets and the No. 30 Projected Pick
The Pittsburgh Steelers must hate Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. The Steelers are consistently one of the best teams in the National Football League and they always have one of the top rated offenses in the league. Yet every year it seems like they get an exit in the playoffs courtesy of the Patriots and Tom Brady. The Steeler fan is going mad thinking about how many titles they may have won if not for the Patriots recent run of dominance.
Last year was a typical Steelers season. They had a great run winning the first four out of five games of the season. Although they lost four straight games in the middle of the season (to include losing to the Patriots) the Steelers rebounded to win seven straight games to end the season.
The Steelers walked away with the AFC North title as the Baltimore Ravens and the Cincinnati Bengals both had disappointing years. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide out Antonio Brown entered the playoffs on a roll and they looked as though they could not be stopped.
The Steelers stomped the Dolphins in the first round and slipped by the Kansas City Chiefs before they were dismantled by the Patriots. In that loss they showed that they need some help on defense. In this year’s draft the Steelers will look to find the pieces that will finally put them past the Patriots.
Steelers Draft Needs
The Steelers need help on defense. If they want to stop Brady and the Patriots they need someone who can rush the quarterback and someone who can defend the pass. This is why the Steelers will target cornerbacks or linebackers in the NFL draft.
James Harrison is now 39 years old and he led the outside linebackers in sacks a season ago which shows that this team is in need of an upgrade.
The Steelers used a first round pick on the secondary a year ago and if they do it again they may finally have the personnel available to play man to man coverage. An upgrade in secondary is never a bad thing in the now pass happy National Football League.
Steelers Potential Targets
The Steelers are looking to focus on defense and they will most likely stay away from picking an offensive player with this selection. If they pick an offensive player they could select a tight end or an offensive lineman.
That leaves targets like TJ Watt linebacker out of Wisconsin or Taco Charlton, defensive end out of Michigan as potential targets for the Black and Gold. The Steelers also will be watching Jabrill Peppers out of Michigan, although his stock has slipped in recent weeks.
The Pittsburgh Steelers select….
The Steelers will select TJ Watt, linebacker out of Wisconsin with the first round selection. He will give the Steelers a youthful punch to an aging unit and Watt will learn from Harrison as he starts to take a prominent role in the defense.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.