NFL Mock Draft: Oakland Raiders
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Oakland Raiders Draft Targets and the No. 24 Projected Pick
The Oakland Raiders were transformed a season ago and they finally put a team on the field that their fan base could cheer for. With young Derek Carr leading the way as the team’s best quarterback in years, this team is destined to compete for a playoff spot for years to come.
Many speculate that if not for a late season injury to Carr that the Raiders would have been the one team that would have been able to slow down the eventual Super Bowl champions in the New England Patriots.
The Raiders posted a 12 win season and lost the tiebreaker to the Kansas City Chiefs to finish second in the AFC West. This season also gave the Raiders a spot in the NFL playoffs. Unfortunately since they were without their best player in Carr, the Raiders were one and done. They lost to the Houston Texans in the first round and they were left to wonder just how good they may have been if they had a healthy quarterback in the lineup.
Now the Silver and Black will be playing in Oakland in front of fans that may be a bit bitter considering that the team will be moving to Las Vegas in a few years. For now the Raiders have to focus on making the team better in off season free agency and of course in the upcoming NFL draft.
Raiders Draft Needs
The Raiders have many needs despite the good season from a year ago. Many of the needs for this team are on the defensive side of the ball. The biggest need for this team is linebacker. They did make minor moves to fill that spot, but they could always use depth on the second level of the defense.
They could also use help on the defensive front, especially at defensive tackle. They not only are missing starters on the front line, but they have little to no depth. If there is a position that needs attention on this team, it is the defensive line.
There are other defensive positions that could be boosted for the Raiders to include cornerback and Safety.
If the Raiders decide to make a move on offense look for them to bet more help on front on the line or draft a running back.
Raiders Potential Targets
The number one target for the Raiders will be linebacker and at this spot in the draft they should have plenty to choose from. Jarrad Davis out of Florida, Reuben Foster out of Alabama and Zach Cunningham out of Vanderbilt will all be players the Raiders may select with this selection. If they make a different selection it could be Marlon Humphrey the cornerback out of Alabama.
The Oakland Raiders select….
The Raiders need defense and they need help at linebacker that they have to address with the first selection. They need to make sure they get one of the best and that is why they select Davis with the first overall selection in the NFL draft.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.