NFL Mock Draft: Houston Texans
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Houston Texans Draft Targets and the No. 25 Projected Pick
The Houston Texans and their fan base see every season with the same problem that ultimately derails every year. They need a franchise quarterback that can lead this team to victory.
Every year they are able to run the ball very well. Every year they are able to field one of the most ferocious defenses in the National Football League and every year they are in the running for the AFC South title.
Last year the Texans focused on boosting the offensive side of the football to show that they were ready to advance in the playoffs. They inked former Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller to boost the running game and they opened up the bank vault to bring in free agent quarterback Brock Osweiler from the Denver Broncos.
The running back move worked, while the quarterback move did not. Osweiller struggled and was eventually benched as the team still somehow won the division. Osweiller even returned to the starting lineup to win a playoff game against the Raiders. That wasn’t enough as the Texans were able to unload Osweiler in the off season as they shipped him to the Browns.
Now the Texans are in a familiar spot where they must spend their off season looking for the one missing piece. That missing piece is the quarterback.
Texans Draft Needs
The Texans need a quarterback. Unfortunately for this team they draft so low in the first round that it will be tough to get any of the big names unless they plan on trading up for the selection.
They also need a defensive back if they want to be considered one of the best defenses in the league. They lost Quinton Demps and A.J. Bouye to free agency and will need to fill those voids and they could use the draft to make that happen.
They also need to grab a player on the offensive line to help keep the offense moving regardless of who is playing quarterback.
Texans Potential Targets
Mitchell Trubisky and DeShaun Watson will be off the board when the Texans get to make their selection. If either one of those quarterbacks are on the board the Texans will instantly make that player the 25th overall draft pick.
Another quarterback that they may consider is Patrick Mahomes out of Texas Tech. The problem with the Texans is that they need to select someone that can play on day one and Mahomes may need some time to develop.
The Texans will also target linebacker Zach Cunningham out of Vanderbilt or offensive tackle Cam Robinson out of Alabama if he is still available.
The Houston Texans select….
The only thing that is certain for the draft and the Texans is that the fan base will be frustrated. They want and need a quarterback but with all of the big names gone the Texans will refuse to reach. Instead look for them to select Cunningham with this selection and grab one of the best linebackers available on the board.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.