NFL Mock Draft: Detroit Lions
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Detroit Lions Draft Targets and the No. 21 Projected Pick
The Detroit Lions finally did it. They made their fans believe that they have a football team that can finally restore the roar and bring pride back to the fans in Detroit. If not for MVP quarterback Matt Ryan driving the Falcons to the Super Bowl, it could have been argued that Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford deserved to be in the most valuable player conversation.
No one expected the Lions to do anything a season ago. The common thought was that the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings would fight for the right to win the NFC North with the other team heading to the NFL playoffs as a wildcard team. The Lions had other plans and they crashed the NFL playoff party.
The Lions had nine wins on the season and finished second in the NFC North just one game behind the Packers. The division came down to the last week of the regular season and the red hot Packers stopped the Lions success.
The Lions stumbled down the stretch after winning many close games during the season and were quickly ushered out of the NFL playoffs. Although the Lions looked miserable stacking up against some of the best teams in the NFL, there is hope on the horizon and this has not been the case for a very long time in Detroit.
Lions Draft Needs
The Lions have two very glaring needs and that is pass rusher and cornerback. The Lions offense seems to be getting better and better but they need a defense to pull their own weight so the offense is not constantly under pressure to put up plenty of points or play catch up.
General Manager Bob Quinn has been busy this off season and has added help on the offensive line, depth on defense and he had the balls to let go of linebacker DeAndre Levy who is just not healthy enough to stay on the team. Now if he wants to keep the fans happy and make them believe that they could go back to the playoffs he has to make a splash in the upcoming NFL draft.
Lions Potential Targets
If the Lions go offensive with this pick they will take a look at adding speedster John Ross out of Washington or David Njoku the tight end out of Miami. Both of these players would contribute on day one, but the Lions may be better served picking a defensive player with this pick or even trading it for more picks later in the draft.
The Detroit Lions select….
The Lions will have to choose between two big defenders. They will look at Jordan Willis the defensive end from Kansas State. While he would be an incredible edition to the squad there is another player that fits the bill. That player is Charles Harris out of Missouri. The Lions need a defensive end that will get after Aaron Rodgers and Harris is that player. Look for the Lions to make Harris their No. 1 overall draft pick.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.