NFL Mock Draft: Atlanta Falcons
- 19th Apr 2017
- Cole Ryan
Last Updated: 2017-04-19
Atlanta Falcons Draft Targets and the No. 31 Projected Pick
The Atlanta Falcons are arguably the most impressive and surprising team from a year ago. They had an incredible run during the regular season and the most valuable player in the league with quarterback Matt Ryan. They also returned to the biggest game of the season only to be the unfortunate victims to the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history.
Despite the devastating loss to the New England Patriots, the Falcons should look back at last season with pride. After an opening season loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Falcons went on an incredible run. They won four straight and ran away with the NFC South title. The 11 win season was not enough to overtake the 13 win season of the Cowboys, the Falcons team was deadly and it would soon show in the playoffs.
The Falcons rolled by the defensive minded Seattle Seahawks in the NFL playoffs and then pounded the Packers sending the message they could win the Super Bowl. The historic ending to the Super Bowl should be used by the Falcons as a motivating factor to return to the biggest game of the season and get their own ring.
Like many Super Bowl teams, the Falcons have had some changes in the off season. They have to overcome these changes and pick up some great players in the draft if they have hopes of returning to the biggest stage of the NFL season.
Falcons Draft Needs
The Falcons had some big changes in the off season and the most notable may have been losing offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. The incredible offensive minded coach is now the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. The Falcons will change on offense, albeit a little, but they will need help in the draft to get this done.
The Falcons need help on the offensive line. They had one player retire in Chris Chester and the rest of the line is not getting any younger. Youth at this spot would be a good move for the Falcons.
The defensive end is another area that the Falcons will look to address in the draft. They need to have pressure up front and get after opposing quarterbacks if they want to have another dominant run in the regular season. Another position that they may target is in the secondary with the selection of a Free Safety.
Falcons Potential Targets
The Falcons have several targets to choose from based on the players that will be le left on the board when they make the 31st overall selection.
On the offensive line, Guard Dion Dawkins will be a plyer to target out of Temple. Taylor Morton out of Western Michigan is another guard that they can target. On defense they will look at both Taco Charlton out of Michigan and Charles Harris out of Missouri.
The Atlanta Falcons select….
The Falcons want to focus on defense, especially after the meltdown in the Super Bowl. With this selection the Falcons will select Charles Harris or if he is not there they will select Charlton.
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.