MLS Prediction: Vancouver Whitecaps at Portland Timbers
- 21st Apr 2017
- Pavlos Laguretos
Last Updated: 2017-04-21
Match-up : Vancouver Whitecaps at Portland Timbers
Date : 4/22/2017
Time : 16:00 EDT
Spread : Vancouver +0.75
Total : 2.75 Goals
Portland have made an excellent start to the 2017 MLS season, as they are leading the Western Conference, also featuring the best offense. They will be playing host to the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday, April 22nd, at their home ground of Providence Park. Vancouver have made a rahter shaky start so far, but they are coming off a solid win against Cascadia rivals and reigning MLS Cup winners, Seattle Sounders.
Portland (4-2-1) are coming into this match after suffering a tough loss by 1-0 at home against Sporting Kansas City. Their opponents dominated them at the fist half of that match, but SKC only scored a single goal in the second half for the final 1-0. That was a stingy result, as they had been held to a 1-1 draw against New England Revolution in their previous match at home, where they now have a 1-2-1 record after 4 matches there. In their first two matches at home, Portland demolished Minnesota by 1-5 and Houston by 2-4 before their recent skid. Despite the loss, the Timbers are still sitting at the top of the Western Conference with 13 points, having the best offense with 16 goals so far, against 9 conceded. They will be coming into this match with just a couple of absences, as Arokoyo and Zemanski have been ruled out, while Ridgewell is still listed as questionable to participate.
On the other hand, Vancouver (2-3-1) are coming off a very passionate win against Cascadia Cup rivals Seattle Sounders. They had already taken a two goal lead in that match, before their opponents scored a consolation goal at the 89th minute for the final 1-2. That was Vancouver’s 2nd win of the season, but they are still win-less on the road after a couple of matches. After a goal-less draw at the premiere, Vancouver were hosted by the Earthquakes, where they had managed to take a 2 goal lead at the first half. However, they were left with 10 men and their opponents managed to completely overturn the result in their favour (2-3). In their next road match they were hosted by Real Salt Lake, in a venue where they traditionally struggle, and easily fell by 0-3. They are now sitting at the 7th spot of the Western Conference with 7 points, having scored 8 goals against 11 conceded. They will be coming into this match with quite a few absences, as Levis, Edgar, Bustos, Shea, Reyna and Hurtado are unavailable.
Vancouver haven’t had much luck in this venue, but they have been quite competitive. They have only won once so far, but they have held their opponents to 5 draws too (1-4-5). Portland are coming off a draw and a loss in their last 2 home matches, so they should be able to restore the balance with a win here.
Prediction : Portland Timbers -0.5 (-139).
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.