MLS Prediction: Columbus Crew at New York Red Bulls
- 21st Apr 2017
- Pavlos Laguretos
Last Updated: 2017-04-21
Match-up : Columbus Crew at New York Red Bulls
Date : 4/22/2017
Time : 19:30 EDT
Spread : New York -0.75
Total : 3 Goals
Next up, we have a very important clash in the Eastern Conference of the MLS, when conference leaders Columbus Crew will be hosted by rivals New York Red Bulls on Saturday, April 22nd, at the Red Bull Arena. The Red Bulls have made a rather mixed start to the season, as they won their first two matches, only to go win-less in their next 4. However, they are coming off a solid win, while Columbus are also coming off a very strong result, as they came back from one goal behind to eventually take all 3 points against Toronto.
New York Red Bulls (3-3-1) are coming into this match after recording a solid 0-2 win against DC United at home. They were much better at the first half, but they found both goals at the second half, as their opponents failed to threaten them. That win came to put an end to their 4 match win-less streak (0-3-1), that came after back-to-back wins. It is clear that the Red Bulls are struggling with consistency early in the season, and having to play against the conference leaders will surely make their task even harder. Even so, the Red Bulls are now sitting at the 5th spot of the Eastern Conference with 10 points after 7 matches, trailing Columbus by just 3 points. They are still undefeated after 3 matches at home (2-0-1), where they have yet to concede a single goal. They will be coming into this match with just a couple of injuries, as defender Gideon Baah suffered a season ending injury, while midfielder Mike Grella and forward Gonzalo Veron are still listed as unavailable for this match.
On the other hand, Columbus Crew (4-2-1) are coming into this match after recording a hard-fought win against a tough Toronto side. Their opponents took the lead at the 21st minute of that match with Altidore, but Columbus were stunning in their response. After equalizing at the 37th with Kamara, they saw Meram score one more just before the first half was over, for the final 1-2. That was their 4th win in their last 5 matches, as they are still cruising at the top spot of the Eastern Conference with 13 points after 7 matches, having the 2nd best offense with 11 goals. They have been rather unlucky in their 3 road matches so far, as they have already lost twice to two very good home sides like Houston and Chicago, but they have also defeated D.C. United by 2-0 in-between. Even so, they haven’t had much luck in this venue lately, as they have only won once since 2011 (1-5-2). They will be coming into this match with a handful of absences, as Sauro is out for season, while Mensah, Stuver, Duka and Kamara are all listed as questionable to participate.
This is one of the oldest match-ups in the MLS, as the Red Bulls have won just a few more matches than their opponents (26-25-12). However, Columbus have only won once here in the last 7 years, and just 3 times in the last 14 years. Even so, they have been better than the Red Bulls so far, and they will be looking to remain at the top of the conference. There have been Over 2.5 Goals in 9 of the last 12 matches between the two in this venue, which goes to show that these two competitors always have something to show.
Prediction : Over 2.75 Goals (-130).
- Anadolu Efes @ Olympiakos GAME 5 Date/Time: 05-02-2017, 14:00 EST Spread: Olympiakos -7 Total: +145.5 In the only quarterfinal of the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball that went to a Game 5, the series moves back to Greece when the third-seeded Olympiakos Piraeus are hosting the sixth-seeded Anadolu Efes Istanbul in …
- The Eastern Conference NBA Semi-finals game 1 is on schedule for Monday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers face-off the Toronto Raptors. It is a rematch of the last years Eastern Conference finals and the Raptors will try to revenge the last years 4-2 series defeat.
- The NBA Western conference playoffs semi-finals series tips-off on Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs host the Houston Rockets in Game 1.
- Saul Alvarez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday, May 6th in a bout that will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.
- The Orioles visit the Red Sox on Monday, May 1st in the first game of a four-game series with a start time of 7:10 pm Eastern on ESPN.