Michigan State Spartans vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Pick
- Updated: February 24, 2013
Michigan State vs. Ohio State Basketball Picks
Date/Time: Sunday February 24, 4:00 pm EST
College Basketball Odds from WagerWeb
Point Spread: Ohio State -3.5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
Michigan State Spartans
- Michigan State is 4-1-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Michigan State is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Michigan State’s last 5 games on the road
- Michigan State is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games when playing on the road against Ohio State
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Michigan State’s last 6 games when playing on the road against Ohio State
Ohio State Buckeyes
- Ohio State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
- Ohio State is 18-7 SU in its last 25 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Ohio State’s last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Ohio State’s last 15 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Ohio State’s last 8 games at home
- Ohio State is 19-2 SU in its last 21 games at home
Every year Tom Izzo’s teams play their best basketball at the end of the year and that is what this year’s team is doing right now. At the beginning of the year, they looked like a very ordinary team. As the season has moved along, the Spartans have turned into a legitimate Big Ten and national title contender. If anyone had any doubt before (I don’t know why they would have), the progress of this year’s team just verifies that Tom Izzo is one of the very best coaches in the country.
Michigan State’s talented frontcourt gives them an edge in the physical Big Ten. Derrick Nix and Adreian Payne are both capable of scoring in the paint, and Payne’s ability to step out and hit shots from the outside make him a good weapon for the team. Keith Appling and Gary Harris have both matured a ton at the guard spots. Harris is shooting 43% from downtown to lead the team. Michigan State dominates the glass in almost every game, and they really do win with their physicality.
Ohio State was absolutely embarrassed last Sunday in Madison by the Wisconsin Badgers. Wisconsin beat Ohio State 71-49 in that one. Thad Matta’s Buckeyes bounced back with a blowout win over Minnesota during the week, but this will be an even bigger test for the Buckeyes. DeShaun Thomas is one of the nation’s best scorers, and he can score in just about any manner. Thomas is a solid outside shooter, but he is at his best when he is getting to the basket and using his size and agility around the hoop. Thomas is averaging 20.1 points and 6 boards per game.
The problem for Ohio State is no one else on their team is consistently scoring. Aaron Craft is a very good point guard, but he isn’t a good scorer. The Buckeyes have had trouble scoring on half court sets all year, and Michigan State held them to 56 points in East Lansing earlier this season. Ohio State’s defense typically keeps them in the game, but they do struggle to guard Payne and Nix in the post. The Buckeyes will have to hold their own on the glass in this one.
Free Pick: Michigan State +3.5
Michigan State’s strength on the inside makes them a tough matchup for the Buckeyes. The Spartans have a more balanced offense, and they have been playing consistently very well of late. I like the road team here.
Michigan State 65 Ohio State 64
Latest posts by Kyle Hunter (see all)
- Kyle Hunter’s Top Ten CFB Rankings: #5 Baylor Bears - July 7, 2015
- Kyle Hunter’s Top Ten CFB Rankings: #6 Michigan State Spartans - July 6, 2015
- Kyle Hunter’s Top Ten CFB Rankings: #7 Oregon Ducks - July 4, 2015