Marquette vs Miami Sweet Sixteen Pick
- Updated: March 27, 2013
March Madness Picks
Date/Time: Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:15 p.m. (ET)
College Basketball Odds from VietBet
Point Spread: Miami -5
Basketball Betting Game Trends
Marquette Golden Eagles
- Marquette is 0-4 ATS in their last 4 Thursday games.
- Marquette is 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 games following a S.U. win.
- Marquette is 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 non-conference games.
- Marquette is 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
- Marquette is 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Miami is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Miami is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 neutral site games.
- Miami is 22-8 ATS in their last 30 Thursday games.
- Miami is 19-7-1 ATS in their last 27 games following a S.U. win.
- Miami is 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games following a ATS loss.
In one of the most dramatic comebacks in recent NCAA Tournament history, Marquette snuck past No.14 Davidson 59-58 as a 3.5-point favorite in its opening game. It found itself in another nail-biter against No.6 Butler its next time out, but came away with a 74-72 victory as a two-point favorite. This charmed existence has the Golden Eagles 6-1 straight-up in their last seven games, but a costly 2-5-1 against the spread in their last eight. The has gone OVER in five of their last seven outings.
To advance to the Elite Eight, they will need a big night from Vander Blue and Davante Gardner, who have been the team’s top two scorers all season long. They combined for 30 points against Davidson and Blue went crazy on his own against Butler with a game-high 29 points. The Golden Eagles are averaging 69 points a game while allowing an average of 62.9 points on defense.
Miami has a trio of scorers that have been doing damage all season long. Shane Larkin has led the way with 14.5 points a game but both Durand Scott and Kenny Kadji are averaging over 13 points as well. Also keep an eye on Rion Brown, who scorched Illinois for game-high 21 points in Sunday’s 63-59 win with Miami favored by eight points. Scott led all scorers with 21 points in the Hurricanes 78-49 rout of Pacific in their tournament opener.
The one injury concern for the Hurricanes is center Reggie Johnson who is listed as out with a bad knee. He led the team in rebounds with seven a game and pulled down 10 boards in the win over Pacific, but his overall production began to drop off down the stretch so his loss is not as devastating as it may appear. Overall, Miami is averaging 69.4 points a game while shooting 45.8 percent from the field. Defensively, it is allowing an average of 60.3 points a game.
These teams mirror one another in a number of statistical categories but the overall edge in talent goes to Miami. Given this edge, the Hurricanes should be able to outlast Marquette to get the SU win, but this game will come down to the final few possessions to allow the Golden Eagles to easily cover with the five points.
Miami 71 Marquette 69
Latest posts by Dave Schwab (see all)
- NBA Pick: New York Knicks vs. Brooklyn Nets - December 5, 2013
- Detroit Pistons vs. Miami Heat Free NBA Pick - December 3, 2013
- Free NFL Pick: New Orleans Saints vs. Seattle Seahawks - December 2, 2013