Iona at Akron College Basketball Prediction
- 23rd Dec 2015
- Gareth Mcknight
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
The Akron Zips (8-2) square off against the Iona Gaels (4-5) at South Point Arena. The game starts at 3:00 pm ET on Wednesday, Dec. 23.
The Zips were victorious over UC Santa Barbara 84-70 on Monday. Noah Robotham led all scorers on the team with 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting. The Gaels are coming off an 80-76 loss to that same UC Santa Barbara squad on Tuesday. Deyshonee Much recorded 16 points, four rebounds, and one steal.
Akron is a four-point favorite in this game and the Over/Under (O/U) is currently unavailable.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
The Zips look to build on their records of 8-2 Straight Up (SU) and 4-2 Against The Spread (ATS). The Zips are an impressive shooting team from three-point range with a .389 three-point field goal percentage, one of the highest marks in Division I. Akron has an edge in the rebounding department for this game, where it racks up an average of 42.9 rebounds per game. As for the Akron defense, teams have to fight for open shots against the Zips, who have one of the best opponent field-goal percentages in the country at .358. Iona has a habit of getting in foul trouble (22.1 fouls per game), so expect the Zips to get a number of opportunities from the free throw line.
On the other side, the Gaels head into the game with records of 4-4 ATS and 4-5 SU. When it comes to making good decisions with the ball, not many are better than the Gaels. They have one of the top assist-to-turnover ratios in the country at 1.44. When it comes to stealing the ball, the Gaels are one of the best in the nation with an average of 8.0 steals per game.
This game marks the first time Akron and Iona have played one another in recent seasons.
Predictions: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron
Akron is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games.
Akron has allowed an average of 54.4 points per home game this season. Iona averages 77.4 points per away game, ranking 38th in scoring.
Iona beats Akron in both possessions per game and points per possession. The Gaels average 74.6 possessions and 1.101 points per possession, while the Zips average 70.4 possessions with 1.095 points per possession.
Akron has an average effective field goal percentage of 51.8%. Iona is an even 2-2 when opponents have a similar or higher effective field goal percentage.
Akron attempts an average of 28.0 three pointers per game and Iona attempts 27.0. In games where they have 20 or more three point attempts, the Akron Zips have a tremendous 7-2 record while the Iona Gaels have a 4-5 record.
Iona ranks 33rd in the nation with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.44. Akron is ranked lower at 134th with an A/TO of 1.12.
The Akron Zips are one of the top rebounding teams in the nation with an average of 42.9 per game (ranked 19th). The Iona Gaels are outside the top 100 with 35.2 rebounds per game (ranked 256th).
Iona ranks 300th in offensive rebounds, while Akron ranks at 15th in defensive rebounds.
Akron has forced an average turnover percentage of 18.2% this season. Iona has a losing 1-3 record when its TO% is 18.2% or higher.
- The Miami Heat will start their three-game road trip in Boston where they will matchup with the Celtics on Sunday afternoon.
- The Rangers visit the Ducks on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 9 pm Eastern.
- The Thunder visit the Rockets on Sunday, March 26th with a start time of 3:30 pm Eastern on ABC.
- Venezia @ Caserta Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 07:00 EDT Spread: Caserta +3 Total: +149.5 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, JuveCaserta Basket (sometimes spelled Juve Caserta Basket), also known as Pasta Reggia Caserta, hosts Reyer Venezia Mestre, or …
- Sassari @ Cremona Date/Time: 03-26-2017, 12:00 EDT Spread: Cremona +0.5 Total: +148 It is the 24th week of action in the Italian Basketball League (Lega Basket Serie A) and in this game, Guerino Vanoli Basket (also known as Vanoli Cremona), hosts Dinamo Basket Sassari, currently known as Dinamo Banco di …