Hofstra at Charleston Free NCAA Hoops Pick
- 07th Jan 2016
- Donald Phillips
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
It will be a battle between Colonial Athletic opponents when the Charleston Cougars (9-4) welcome the Hofstra Pride (10-4) to Carolina First Arena. The game gets underway at 7:00 pm ET on Thursday, Jan. 7.
The Cougars lost to William & Mary 78-70 in their last game. Marquise Pointer finished with 23 points to lead the team. The Pride are coming off a 90-58 win over Towson in their last outing. Brian Bernardi led the game in scoring with 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting.
Charleston, a three-point underdog, will look to capitalize at home against Hofstra. The matchup currently has a 146-point Over/Under (O/U). Despite a 9-4 Straight Up (SU) record, the Cougars have not fared well Against The Spread (ATS) with a 3-5 record. They have been worse ATS (2-5) than their SU record (7-3) over their last 10 games would indicate.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
On the other side, Hofstra has a SU record of 10-4 and an ATS record of 5-5-1. When it comes to making good decisions with the ball, not many are better than the Pride. They have one of the top assist-to-turnover ratios in the country at 1.33.
Charleston and Hofstra will be facing off in their first head-to-head contest of the season. When they last met the Pride were winners, bringing their SU record to 3-1. At 2-2, they are even ATS.
Predictions: SU Winner – Hof, ATS Winner – Chrstn, O/U – Over
Hofstra is 16-8 SU in its last 24 games on the road.
College of Charleston is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home.
The Hofstra Pride average 81.9 points per game, ranking 36th in the nation. The Charleston Cougars rank 85th in points allowed with 66.7.
In its last game, Hofstra won by a margin of 32 points. Charleston is 3-1 in games decided by a margin of 18 points or more. Hofstra has a 2-0 record in blowouts.
Hofstra beats Charleston in both possessions per game and points per possession. The Pride average 72.0 possessions and 1.138 points per possession, while the Cougars average 68.5 possessions with 1.064 points per possession.
The Charleston Cougars average an effective field goal percentage of 51.0% this season. The Hofstra Pride have split their games this season (3-3) when opponents have an eFG% of 51.0% or greater.
The Charleston Cougars average 20.0 three point attempts per game, and the Hofstra Pride attempt 24.0 per game. When going for at least 20 three pointers in a game this season, both teams have winning records; Charleston is 4-2 and Hofstra is 8-4.
Hofstra ranks 50th in the nation with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.33. Charleston is ranked lower at 182nd with an A/TO of 1.02.
Opponents have had an average turnover percentage of 21.5% when playing Charleston this season. Hofstra is undefeated (1-0) when its TO% is 21.5% or higher.
- The National League odds are pretty challenging, to be quite honest. If Clayton Kershaw is healthy, the award should be his.
- On the Monday March 27 edition of BangTheBook Radio, host Adam Burke answered listener questions on the Monday Mailbag segment and Kyle Hunter of SmarterSportsPicks.com joined us to talk NIT, CBI, CIT, and the Final Four.
- On Monday night, the Utah Jazz will be facing off against the New Orleans Pelicans, who are doing their best to put on a late charge as they try to sneak into the Western Conference playoffs.
- Game one of the 3-game series to determine the winner of the CBI will take place Monday night, in Conway, SC, as Allen Edwards and the Wyoming Cowboys of the Mountain West make the cross country trip to take on Cliff Ellis and the Sun Belt’s Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
- With North Carolina favored by a couple of possessions, the total is gradually increasing at 151.5 and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see those two trends continue.