Hartford vs. Stony Brook College Basketball Pick, Odds & Prediction
- 08th Feb 2016
- Gareth Mcknight
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
The Stony Brook Seawolves (19-4) will attempt to extend a 15-game winning streak when they match up with the Hartford Hawks (7-17) at USB Sports Complex. The game gets underway at 7:00 pm ET on Monday, Feb. 8.
The Seawolves easily got past Massachusetts-Lowell 91-73 on Saturday. Jameel Warney played a key role, recording 24 points and 14 rebounds to notch his 16th double-double this season. The Hawks, meanwhile, are coming off a tough 85-83 loss at the hands of that same Massachusetts-Lowell squad on Wednesday. Cleveland Thomas had a good shooting night, leading the game with 37 points.
Thomas has been on a tear over the last five games for the Hawks, averaging 25.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.6 blocks, and 2.6 three-pointers.
The high-powered offense of Stony Brook (23rd in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 115.2) will square off against the porous defense of Hartford (317th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 110.5), a matchup that should favor the Seawolves. Furthermore, the 299th-ranked offense of the Hawks (offensive efficiency of 98.3) will face a tough test against the fifth-ranked defense of the Seawolves (defensive efficiency of 91.6).
This will be the second matchup of the season between these two teams. The Seawolves won the first game 77-43. Warney recorded a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
Pick: Take Stony Brook
Stony Brook hasn’t lost a game against any of its America East Conference opponents, sitting at 10-0. Hartford, on the other hand, has an abysmal 2-7 SU record against these teams.
In its last game, Hartford lost by a margin of two points. Stony Brook is 1-1 in games decided by a margin of three points or less. Hartford has a 1-3 record in close games.
The Stony Brook Seawolves have a defensive rating of 91.6 (ranked fifth), while the Hartford Hawks have an offensive rating of 98.3 (ranked 299th).
Stony Brook has an average field goal percentage of 48.2% (ranked 25th). Hartford is a subpar 1-11 when opponents have a similar or higher field goal percentage.
The Stony Brook Seawolves rank higher based on their field goal percentage (25th) than their effective field goal percentage (31st). The Hartford Hawks rank higher based on their effective field goal percentage (263rd) than their field goal percentage (324th).
Ranked 17th in the nation, Stony Brook has an average of 17.1 assists per game. Hartford ranks lower at 243rd with 12.5.
Stony Brook, the 60th-ranked team in blocked shots, records an average of 4.5 per game. Hartford does worse, ranked 348th with 1.6.
Stony Brook ranks 79th in offensive rebounding. Hartford ranks 306th in defensive rebounding.
The Hartford Hawks average 7.5 steals per game. The Stony Brook Seawolves are undefeated with a 7-0 record when they give up at least 7 steals.
- Match-up : Seattle Sounders at L.A. Galaxy Date : 4/23/2017 Time : 16:00 EDT Spread : L.A. Galaxy -0.25 Total : 2.5 Goals Reigning MLS Cup winners Seattle Sounders have not made a good start in the 2017 season, and neither have the L.A. Galaxy. Seattle have won just a …
- Match-up : Orlando City at NYCFC Date : 4/23/2017 Time : 13:30 EDT Spread : NYCFC -0.75 Total : 3 Goals Orlando City might have made an excellent start in the 2017 MLS season, but they have played 4 of their 5 matches at home, having won all of them. …
- Match-up : Colorado Rapids at Minnesota United Date : 4/23/2017 Time : 18:00 EDT Spread : Minnesota +0.0 Total : 2.75 Goals Colorado Rapids are the classic example of an MLS team that comes out of mediocrity to make an amazing season, only to return to mediocrity again. After their …
- Match-up : Monaco at Lyon Date : 4/23/2017 Time : 15:15 EDT Spread : Monaco +0.0 Total : 3.25 Goals Next up, we have one more important derby, when Lyon will be playing host to Monaco on Sunday, April 23rd. Lyon are coming off a solid performance mid-week, as they …
- Match-up : Barcelona at Real Madrid Date : 4/23/2017 Time : 14:45 EDT Spread : Real Madrid -0.25 Total : 3.5 Goals It is now time for the most important derby of the season in Spain, when Real Madrid will be hosting Barcelona on Sunday, April 23rd, for the El …