Delaware at Charleston Free CBB Pick
- 23rd Jan 2016
- Matt Barnes
Last Updated: 2017-03-06
It will be a battle between Colonial Athletic opponents when the Charleston Cougars (11-7) welcome the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens (5-13) to Carolina First Arena. The game begins at 4:00 pm ET on Saturday, Jan. 23.
The Cougars barely escaped Towson 40-37 on Thursday. Terrance O’Donohue had eight points, seven rebounds, and two blocks for Charleston. The Fightin’ Blue Hens, meanwhile, are coming off a 79-70 loss at the hands of UNC Wilmington on Thursday. Kory Holden had a game-high 22 points.
Marvin King-Davis has been on fire over the last five games for the Fightin’ Blue Hens, averaging 18.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, 0.6 assists, and 0.6 blocks.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nation’s slowest-paced teams square off. Charleston ranks 319th in possessions per game (66.0), while Delaware is 277th (67.4). Also, the offense of the Fightin’ Blue Hens seems ready to earn plenty of trips to the line. They rank 32nd in the nation in FTA rate (43.4), while the Cougars are among the nation’s most foul-happy teams (allowing a 314th-ranked mark of 43.3).
Charleston, a nine-point favorite, will look to capitalize at home against Delaware. The Over/Under (O/U) for the matchup is 130 points.
For updated lines, check out BTB’s College Basketball Odds.
Even with a positive Straight Up (SU) record of 11-7, the Cougars are 5-8 Against The Spread (ATS) in those games. It’s been a struggle for opposing teams to score on the Cougars. The 64.1 points that Charleston’s defense allows per game makes them the 30th-ranked defense in the country. The Cougars have limited opponents’ efforts from beyond the arc, allowing 5.0 three-pointers made per game.
Over on the other bench, Delaware has a SU record of 4-14 and an ATS record of 5-10-1. Delaware has not performed well ATS during its last 10 games, earning a 3-7 record.
This game marks the season’s first head-to-head clash between the conference rivals. Their previous game was a Fightin’ Blue Hens victory, bringing their SU record to 4-0. The Fightin’ Blue Hens also hold the advantage ATS with a record of 3-1.
Predictions: SU Winner – Chrstn, ATS Winner – Chrstn, O/U – Over
Delaware is 2-7-1 ATS in its last 10 games on the road.
Delaware is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road.
College of Charleston is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games.
Winless against their conference, the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens are 0-7 SU against their rivals, while Charleston sits at 3-4 SU against its foes.
Delaware scores just 66.0 points per away game (ranked 251st). Charleston ranks 38th in points allowed at home, giving up 61.0 points.
The Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens average 67.4 possessions per game and .989 points per possession. The Charleston Cougars earn fewer possessions with 66.0, but they score more points with 1.042.
Charleston has an average effective field goal percentage of 50.1%. Delaware is an abysmal 1-10 when opponents have a similar or higher effective field goal percentage.
On average, the Charleston Cougars attempt 19.0 three point field goals per game and the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens attempt 18.0. In games where they attempt at least 20 threes, Charleston has a split 4-4 record, while Delaware is 3-4.
Charleston ranks 177th in offensive rebounds, while Delaware ranks 90th in defensive rebounds.
On average, Delaware forces a turnover rate of 14.0%. When Charleston turns over the ball at a similar or higher rate, the team has a winning 9-5 record.
- Real Madrid @ Olympiakos Date/Time: 03-24-2017, 15:00 EDT Spread: Olympiakos -2 Total: +156.5 In the 28th round of action in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball which takes place just two days after the previous round, we have a battle for the first place of the league, as Olympiakos Piraeus (19-8) …
- Galatasaray @ Darussafaka Dogus Date/Time: 03-24-2017, 13:15 EDT Spread: Darussafaka Dogus -8 Total: +154.5 In the 28th round of action in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball which takes place just two days after the previous round, we have a do-or-die game for the hosts, as Darussafaka Dogus Istanbul (13-14) welcomes …
- CSKA Moscow @ Unics Kazan Date/Time: 03-24-2017, 12:00 EDT Spread: Unics Kazan +9 Total: +166.5 In the 28th round of action in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball which takes place just two days after the previous round, we have a game with one-sided interested as the already eliminated Unics Kazan …
- Crvena Zvezda mts @ Barcelona Date/Time: 03-24-2017, 16:00 EDT Spread: Barcelona -2 Total: +143 In the 28th round of action in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball which takes place just two days after the previous round, the already eliminated FC Barcelona Lassa (10-17) are hosting Crvena Zvezda (15-12), who are …
- The 2017 Formula One season gets underway on Sunday with the Australian Grand Prix on NBCSN