13) Very early Super Bowl lines, with the four possible matchups:
Patriots would be -2 over the 49ers, -6 over Atlanta.
Ravens would be 3.5-point underdogs if the Harbaugh brothers meet; they’d be 1.5-point underdogs if they played Atlanta.
12) Last time the 49ers won a road playoff game was in ’89 in Chicago; backup QB for the Bears that day was Jim Harbaugh.
11) SI.com pointed out today that the average NFL game this season had 694.4 total yards; the four playoff games this weekend had an average of 898.3 yards. Quite a difference from the four games that all stayed under the total last week.
10) Why didn’t the Falcons go for two when they took 26-7 lead Sunday? Do these coaches take game management lessons? Mike Smith would be having a very unpleasant day today had the Falcons lost that game.
9) Rory McIlroy signed a big money deal to switch from Titleist clubs to Nike; my golf expert tells me that in this day and age, should not be a huge adjustment for him with his new sticks.
8) Adidas signed Derrick Rose to 13-year, $183M endorsement deal; that’s the sneaker company, not the Bulls. Lebron James makes around $120M for 10 years on his sneaker deal. That’s why these guys play in the Olympics and these off-season tournaments, to pacify their sneaker sponsors.
7) USC fired hoop coach Kevin O’Neill; kids want to play a faster tyle and O'Neill's teams play slow. Now Trojans need a dynamic force who can utilize the Trojans’ new facilties to keep some of LA’s high school hoop stars at home. I am told that Bruce Pearl still has two years left on his show-cause order, so he’s not an option yet, but USC is a big name that has been a sleeping giant in hoops for years. Now is the time to get the right guy and challenge UCLA on the hardwood.
6) Oregon State started Pac-12 play 0-3, with three home losses and the President’s brother-in-law is feeling some heat in Corvallis. When you're losing with juniors/seniors on your squad, it ain’t good for your future.
5) ESPN.com reports that baseball owners approved a rule change last week, that would allow coaches and managers to bring interpreters to the mound for conferences with foreign-born pitchers who don't speak fluent English. Just what we need, more people in on conferences.
4) You know when a team has runners on first-and-third and pitcher fakes to third then throws to first? Thats going to be a balk this year-- it won't be a permanent rule change until the Players' Union says OK (why wouldn't they, unless its just a control thing), but it will be a rule this year.
3) Carmelo Anthony made $18,518,574 LY; you figure he does his best to keep in shape so he can play his best at all times. Not so much; turns out he recently fasted for 15 days, no carbs, no meats.
"I haven't had a good meal in 2.5 weeks. No meats. No carbs. So competing at a high level, the body feels depleted.........its for my own sake. Sometimes in life you've got to replenish your body back up and get all the toxins out. (Get) all the things you don't need in your body out. I do this once a year, every year."
How about doing it in the offseason, when you're not getting paid?
Coaching in the NBA must be a lot of fun.
2) Oakland A’s did the right thing and gave their excellent manager Bob Melvin a two-year contract extension; well deserved.
1) NHL regular season is normally 80 games; 48 games is 60% of 80, so the NHL Center Ice package, at most should be 60% of what it was last year, no? Well for once, it appears as if NHL did give viewers a 40% discount, charging $15 a month for the regular season.
NBA did no much thing LY, when their season was reduced from 82 to 66 games.
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: