You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Random thoughts while watching all the New Years Day Bowl games: Nobody asked me, but........
13) Seems odd to me that since Washington beat Florida in the '89 Freedom Bowl, there has been only one bowl game between the Pac-12 and SEC, the Oregon-Auburn national title game two years ago. How is that possible?
12) NFL teams who might be interested in hiring Penn State's Bill O'Brien as head coach should know that his contract buyout is right around $9M.
11) There are seven bowl games in Florida this year, most of any state.
10) Mike Holmgren wants to coach again? I'd have trouble hiring an older guy who has already won a title who once retired to spend more time with his family. His longterm commitment would be an issue for me.
9) Jesse Palmer/David Pollack are excellent combo on TV; you learn stuff about the game listening to them, which isn't the case with lot of guys.
8) First downs in Clemson's wild 25-24 win over LSU Monday night; 32 for Clemson, only nine for LSU. Didn't think that would happen.
7) Coolest play of the bowl season so far was Duke's 79-yard punt against Cincinnati in the Belk Bowl; it landed just in bounds, rolled about 15 yards further without going out of bounds, then was downed at the 1-yard line. Look it up on Youtube; weird kick.
6) Purdue started its bowl game with a fake punt inside its own 15-yard line, which exposed the level of competence of their interim coach. The fake worked, but not much else did, as Boilers lost 58-14, in one of the uglier, if not the ugliest bowl this season. Purdue getting 17 points was biggest spread in a bowl game in the last ten years.
5) Lot of college teams bring in different QBs when they get near the goal line, because that guy is a better runner, which makes sense, but it just bothers me when you take your starting QB out. Guess I've been watching too many NFL games, but if you have two QBs, then you don't have any.
4) Wisconsin/Stanford were both allotted 32,000 tickets for Rose Bowl; Cardinal sold theirs plus 8,000 more. I never considered Barry Alvarez to be a coaching legend, until Brent Musberger called him one Tuesday. If Brent calls you a legend, then you're a legend.
3) Not sure if it was my imagination or what, but Georgia-Nebraska game seemed more intense than the other bowl games.
2) Why are there four bowl games at noon/1:00 New Year's Day, then only one at 5 and another at 8:30? What if the late games are bad games? I'm watching NBA games then, I guess. I keep on saying this every year. I understand the Rose Bowl needs to be on at a time of their own for advertising etc. But why not put one of the west coast games on late night. Its not late for people on the west coast. You know how hard it is to watch 4 games at once. But I did it.
1) All these college football coaches have state troopers "protect" them during games, escort them off the field; I'd think NFL coaches need protection more than college guys do, but they don't have police escorts. Some of them do have a cop as a plain clothes escort (Coughlin does), but most don't.
Pay? Did I hear pay? Thats awesome. I finally made it to the big time. So am I having my own reality show? How much am I getting paid? Who has been cashing the checks up to know? This is great. Im excited.
Thanks guys. If Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois just didnt overthrow that receiver (and every receiver all game) with the possible touchdown pass towards the end of the game we could have gone 10-0. Either way a 9-1 New Years Day sure makes up for the screwups the day before. I always seem to have trouble on New Years Eve for some reason.
Here are the current College Bowl Results for 2012/2013 on the Bowling for Dollars Spooky thread
All these numbers are directly from this thread. Basically the numbers are just a guide for the most part and relative to what and how you or I may have played. All the totals are based on 1 unit since some were more or less and contingent on the side play. The sides are always and will always be the stronger play than the total since my bowl system recognizes the team and not the total. So you can base a unit on a side as about 2-3 units. The totals are basically 1/2 - 1 units . In addition many of the plays may get posted on the thread for action purposes since I make a selection for every game although there really may not have been a definitive play for that game. But its for fun and entertainment purposes only so why not have fun with bowl season.
Believe it or not the system has done better than my posted plays since I screwed up on a couple games and went away from the system but the really positive thing is we cashed our Top 2 Bowl Games of the Year and hit every 3 unit play made this year including our top total play last night on the Florida State game. Trust me some years we lose our best plays and win our weakest but really good to see another big year outside a small losing streak after a hot start.
Lots of work go into this thread and totally enjoy posting. Hopefully some of you guys will return the favor and post here at the forum all year long. Cheers!