You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Sunday's List of 13: Wrapping up a college football Saturday for anyone not reading the CFB express.....
13) USC’s 39-36 loss at Arizona really helps Kansas State, since Oregon/Notre Dame still have to play the Trojans, so it’ll put a crimp in their strength of schedule. What happens if Alabama-Oregon-Notre Dame-Kansas State all win out? Chaos, that’s what.
12) If you had NC State +7.5 at North Carolina Saturday, you might be the victim of worst bad beat in college football history. State led 35-32 until UNC tied the game with 1:24 left, then when Wolfpack punted after a 3-and-out, Giovani Bernard ran the punt back 74 yards for the winning TD with 0:13 left. But you had the Wolfpack +7.5, right? I had the Tar Heels if I was honest and was pleasantly surprised.
For some unknown reason, UNC’s punter fakes the PAT and the Tar Heels get two points and the cover!!!
Carolina coach Larry Fedora has some ‘splaining to do, people. I didn’t have either side in the game, but it appears as if Carolina was blatantly trying to beat the pointspread, no?
11) USC WR Marquis Lee caught 16 passes for 345 yards; the other Trojans caught 15 for 148. But Arizona upset the Trojans 39-36, forcing five USC turnovers (+4), in a penalty-marred game (total of 27 penalties for 246 yards).
Big win for Rich Rodriguez’ team, which trailed 21-13 at the half. Horrible play calling by Lane Kiffen in the 2nd half and Barkley seems to miss a wide open Robert Woods for a touchdown every game that may have put the game away before Zona had a chance to come back.
10) Florida-Georgia was another flagfest (24 penalties for 227 yards), and a very sloppy game to boot, with far too much yapping between players. 539 total yards, 227 penalty yards, but Georgia beat Florida for the second year in row, 17-9. Big win for Mark Richt.
9) Texas A&M 63, Auburn 21, at Auburn. Aggies play a freshman QB, but Auburn is in total freefall. As long as Nick Saban is running amok with th Crimson Tide, the Auburn job is a death trap. They won the national title two years ago, and will probably change coaches this winter.
8) Washington Huskies might be weirdest team in America; they upset Oregon State 20-17, their second top 10 upset of the year, but they’ve also lost three games by 30+ points. Hard to figure, but at 4-4, and with Utah-Colorado-Cal-Wazzu left to play, Washington figures to go bowling.
7) In the NBA, Oklahoma City traded James Harden to Houston in a six-player deal; San Antonio Spurs are only team in league that didn’t make a trade this offseason.
6) Rutgers was unbeaten, until bowl-bound Kent State of MAC outrushed them 224-96 and upset the Knights 35-23. Rutgers threw six INTs, was -5 in turnovers, so its easy to see how they lost.
5) Michigan QB Denard Robinson left (elbow) with an injury in second quarter; his replacement was 3-16 for 38 yards passing, as Wolverines got beat 23-9 at Nebraska.
How does Michigan not have a QB who can pass?
4) Big day for two kick returners; Utah’s Reggie Dunn had a couple of 100-yard TDs on kick returns; UCF’s Quincy McDuffie had kick return TDs of 97/98 yards, as both teams had decisive wins.
3) South Florida led 23-3 at halftime over Syracuse, but fell apart in second half and lost on the last play, 37-36, their sixth loss in a row. Bulls had 369 rushing yards and still lost.
2) Would’ve been nice to see Oregon State-Washington game, but DirecTV doesn’t have the Pac-12 Network. Does it help a league to have its games hidden from a big chunk of the country?
1) Our thoughts and prayers to South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore, who hurt his knee Saturday, an injury that appeared to be very serious. Get well soon, young man.
*Bonuses apply for new and existing BTB or Spooky customers.
For every deposit of $25 - $250 customers are eligible for a bonus of up to 100%
For every deposit of $251 - $499 customers are eligible for a bonus of up to 150%
For every deposit of $500 - $1000 customers are eligible for a bonus of up to 200%
*See rules and regulations on sign up page, some restrictions apply
Monday's List of 13: Wrapping up an NFL Sunday..........
13) Quite an ending in Giant-Dallas game, where Cowboys appeared to score the winning TD with 0:06 left, but Dez Bryant’s hand landed out of bounds before the rest of him hit in the end zone, so the Giants escaped with another close call, 29-24 at JerryWorld. Cowboys dropped back to pass 66 times, ran it 17 times in a game the Giants led 23-0 early.
12) For second week in row, there were only two 4:00 NFL games; not sure why, but its not good. League got lucky today with the finishes in Foxboro/ Dallas the last two weeks, but too easy to get two clunkers in late afternoon.
11) Miami Dolphins had a successful onside kick and a blocked punt for a TD against the Jets…..in the first quarter. Miami was outgained by 127 yards and won 30-9. Go figure.
10) Rams’ WR Chris Givens has a catch of 50+ yards in his last five games; that’s the only positive I can find from the game in London.
I know NFL owners are greedy, rich dudes who try to scrape every last nickel out of every corner of the globe (globes are round and don’t have corners, but I digress) but I dislike the games in London. People over there don’t seem to care that much, anyway.
9) Chiefs are unspeakably bad; they need to sign a QB this week, since Brady Quinn got knocked goofy and Matt Cassel got tossed around like a piñata. KC might actually need to sign two QBs this week. Oakland has now won its last six visits to Arrowhead, as Hank Stram turns over in his grave.
8) The Steelers’ throwback uniforms were really bad, terrible. Looked like prison garb.
7) Carolina outgained the Bears 416-210, converted 10-19 on 3rd down, forced three turnovers (+1) and still lost 23-22 on the last play of the game. Cam Newton threw a pick-6 with a 19-14 lead that hurt a lot.
6) Changing defensive coordinators didn’t help the Eagles, who got waxed 30-17 at home by unbeaten Atlanta. Game was 24-7 at half. Home fans weren’t happy. Many booed.
5) Chargers lost 7-6 in rainy, dreary Cleveland, with bad luck, a passing team playing on a dismal day against a team that is cruddy in any weather. That was a game San Diego needed.
4) Rams/Redskins both took a step back this week after having shown improvement so far this season. Surprised how easily the Steelers dispatched Washington.
3) Detroit converted 12-16 on 3rd down, had three TD drives of 80+ yards and scored with 0:20 left to nip Seattle 28-24 in one of the better games of the day. Phew
2) Colts/Titans continue to play close games, with Indy winning this one 19-13 in OT. Tennessee has three wins, but none by more than 3 points.
1) For the week, home teams went 3-9 against spread this week, favorites 4-8, over was 7-5. AFC won two of three against the NFC.
First of all, prayers and wishes for everyone in the storm area in the northeast. Cant believe since I moved from New Jersey there have been earthquakes, hurricanes and snowstorms while here in Florida its been quite calm. God Bless and everyone be safe.
Oh what a great day it was on Saturday watching Lane Kiffen absolutely continue is horrid play calling coming out of the locker room for the second half. And also watching Matt Barkley continue to overthrow wide open receivers that would have led to a touchdown where it would have made it near impossible for Arizona to have come back from that deficit.
Let's get onto the worst of the NFL week:
Warren Moon - In the days of Tecmo Super Bowl, I always played as the Oilers because their offense was the best. But I hate Warren these days. Stop playing the race card, black guy. People aren't attacking Cam because he's black. They are killing him because he is awful at his goddamn job the same way everyone rips on bad white QBs.
DeAngelo Hall - Let's just get this out of the way. What an awful effort by a normally awful defense yesterday. D-Hall is the worst. He got "excused" from the game for being an asshole late in the 4th and it was deserved because he is an embarrassment.
Philip Rivers - Not a good quarterback--I don't care what the weather was like. That creepy mustache was a pleasant surprise though.
The Same Old Story For The Bears - This happens every year. They have a one month stretch where Cutler gets killed and then he gets hurt and then they wonder what could have been. Cutler dies next week--you heard it here first.
Cam Newton - IF HE WUZ WHITE, NO ONE WOULD CARE IF HE THREW A BACK-BREAKING PICK SIX.
Megatron - DO SOMETHING ALREADY. Big win for the Lions though because had they lost, the season was over. He has dropped lots of passes recently, wtf.
Aaron Rodgers - Nice mail-in performance by the Packers yesterday. That was truly inspiring.
Rams, Titans, and Jets - All lost; no one cared. Vick Ballard OT touchdown SICK.
Timmy Tebow - Oh wait! Who didn't enjoy him being a terrible punt blocker and allowing a punt to get swatted for a touchdown? I DID!
Juan Castillo - Did you know that this guy is a "great man" who did not deserve to be treated like that by Andy Reid? Because every skidmark with a live mic this week said this. The Eagles promptly responded by giving up 30 points in a hurricane because they still suck.
Dez Bryant - This guy is still the worst. I was thinking about this during the game: Dez might be my least favorite non-QB in the league. I just hate this guy so much. The fact that he couldn't keep his non-debt paying hand in the end zone was delightful.
Tony Romo - It was a valiant comeback from captain smiles but we all knew that he would blow it. How great was it on 4th down when Romo went all Tecmo Bowl and backed up 20 yards only to launch another terrible pick? The Cowboys are really bad which makes no sense because they shouldn't be. Romo sucks dick.
The Detroit Tigers - Oh man, how great would it be if we all got up this morning and the Tigers got swept last night. That would really warm my heart after an awful WS performance. My A's would have won it all.
That will do it for NFL talk this week. Stay tuned tomorrow when The Spooky Express likely holds a funeral for Marcus Lattimore's hopes and dreams, Denard's nerve endings, and Braxton Miller's fake trips to the ER. CONGRATS TO THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION SF GIANTS!!! And how about we get more than 2 late games next week?