13) Last time the Red Sox started a road trip 0-7 was back in 1960, when I was less than a year old, but had more hair than I do now.
12) One lucky soul put $3,000 on 36-point underdog Texas State to win SU at Houston last week; when the Bobcats pulled the monumental upset, the guy had himself a ticket worth $105,000. He didn’t even have to sweat much; State led 27-10 at the half.
11) What is Savannah State thinking about? Football team lost 84-0 at Oklahoma State last week (but cashed a check for $385,000); this week, its Florida State in Tallahassee, which could be a similar result, although the paycheck figures to be bigger, too.
10) Final attendance results for the Saratoga thoroughbred meet shows attendance up an average of 173 fans a day, with handle up 3.3%. One big factor in the track’s factor was the near-perfect weather this summer.
9) UCLA started five freshmen on offense at Rice last week; its usually a bad sign when you’re starting freshmen in bigtime college football, but the returning players haven’t done much in Westwood, so the young kids get a shot.
8) Speaking of UCLA, Bruin basketball fans are holding their breath the NCAA makes freshman hoop standouts Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson eligible; school doesn’t start at UCLA until September 27. Practice starts October 12.
7) Houston Astros are first team since 1916 to go 8-47 in any 55-game stretch of a season. They just don’t have many good players.
6) I usually like watching Pawn Stars on History Channel, but now they have Rick’s son Corey doing more on camera, and he’s not likeable. He comes off as a big, dumb guy with a wise mouth, so I’d rather not have him lecturing on the history of stuff that gets brought into the shop.
Case in point: on one episode, George Stephanopolous came into the shop; Corey and Chumlee had no idea, as in zero, who he is. Brilliant!!!!
5) Xavier booted their best returning basketball player out of school for an off-campus incident, even though the authorities never pressed charges; Dez Wells winds up at Maryland playing for Mark Turgeon. Hope he takes advantage of his second chance.
4) Quietly, the Royals are playing better, especially at home; they’ve won eight of Bruce Chen’s last nine home starts.
3) By all means, keep wheeling Raul Ibanez out there. Guy is 2 for his last 33, can't play the outfield worth a damn, while Ichiro Suzuki sits on the bench. Pretty lame lineup for a team with a $200M payroll.
2) Did you see the clip of the kid on Kent State running the wrong way with a muffed punt last week? If not, you have to go to Youtube and find it; he is sprinting down the sideline, towards the wrong goal line, and three guys on the other team are desperately chasing him, oblivious to fact that he’s running the wrong way. Total chaos when the play ends.
Towson State coaches are yelling at the kid who made the tackle, thinking it cost them two points, when in reality, its against the rules to advance a muffed punt, even if you’re advancing it the wrong way. Been a long time since that happened.
1) You think you had a bad weekend? Boxer Floyd Mayweather bet $3M on Michigan Saturday night. That’s million with an M. That’s also a very rough day. What an Idiot!
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: