08/09/2012 12:42 PM
Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack
CBSSports.com took a survey of 100+ college basketball coaches this July, as to who the most overrated coach in the country is. Here are their results……..
23%-- Roy Williams, UNC-- Has had two plum jobs, Carolina/Kansas.
17%-- Rick Barnes, Texas-- Production hasn't matched the talent.
11%-- Scott Drew, Baylor-- Myself, I think this is unfair, but so be it.
9%-- Steve Lavin, St John's-- Will miss departed tactician Dunlap.
6%-- Wright, Villanova-- Starting guards left early, weren't drafted.
6%-- Howland, UCLA-- People forget he won at Northern Arizona.
4%-- Boeheim, Syracuse-- Doesn't complicate things; has won for years.
4%-- Amaker, Harvard-- Didn't win at Michigan or Seton Hall.
Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Doing some thinking out loud.....
13) Mike Trout homered on his 21st birthday Tuesday, only fifth player ever to do so: Jason Heyward-Frank Robinson-Alex Rodriguez-Ted Williams are other four. Pretty good club to belong to.
12) Angels swung at 47 Bartolo Colon pitches Tuesday and missed only once, but they also got only four hits on 20 balls they put in play. Colon keeps hitters off balance extremely well.
11) Big series with the Halos/A’s in Oakland this week; attendance was disappointing: 13,341/15,458/21,150. Too bad; the A’s are a fun team to watch, and they have a shot at making the playoffs.
10) Penn State’s football uniforms will have players’ names on the back this year, just not all the names they wanted; nine players have transferred, five recruits for 2013 have de-committed.
9) Padres’ closer Huston Street hasn’t allowed a run since June 17. Good to see the Padres signed him to an extension rather than trade him at the trading deadline for prospects.
8) Out in Seattle, Oliver Perez has very quietly posted a 2.08 ERA as a lefty out of the Mariner bullpen. He’d be an interesting piece for a team (Angels?) struggling with their relief pitching.
7) Baltimore Orioles have now won their last twelve extra inning games; Bronx Bombers lost their last eight one-run games.
6) Arizona traded for 3B Chris Johnson; the former Astro has five homers in his first eight games with the Snakes. Not really sure why Houston traded him.
5) All of a sudden Carl Crawford played in nine straight games; guess the doctors’ advice about him sitting out now and then, which caused quite a stir last week, doesn’t hold anymore, if it ever existed in first place.
4) Former UCLA/Bucks’ star Marques Johnson came out before the quarterfinals and predicted the US Olympic team wouldn’t win the gold medal, citing less-than-stellar USA defense. Americans were a 33-point favorite over Australia, and won by 33, after Aussies had game as close as six early in the third quarter.
3) Its rained hard Wednesday at Kiawah Island, site of this weekend’s PGA Championship, as remnants of a tropical storm pummel coastal area; cynical pundits have already dubbed this weekend The Pour at the Shore.
2) Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes, but in fact, there are 11,842 lakes in Jesse Ventura’s home state.
1) Glad to see FOX hired Mike Martz as an analyst on NFL games; can’t wait to see how he does on TV. Some of those production meetings during the week with other coaches could be interesting.
Always remember the 3 G's Girls,Golf, Gambling not in any particular order......:2thumbs: