06/04/2012 02:10 PM
Armadillo: Monday's six-pack
Phil Steele's college football magazine is out; lot of great info in there for the coming season. Here are the six teams that lost the most starts to injuries last season.......
6) Colorado State 52-- Brought in Alabama's OC to fix this 9-27 mess.
5) Toledo 53-- Old coach bolted to Illinois; lost 14 of 22 starters.
4) Oregon State 54-- Played ten true freshmen LY, usually a good sign.
T2) Ohio State 55-- Meyer has nine returning starters on defense.
T2) Boston College 55-- Working with 4th OC in last 13 months.
1) Maryland 59-- 2-9 last season despite a +4 turnover ratio.
Armadillo: Monday's List of 13: Wrapping up a sports weekend..........
13) Home teams are now 8-0 in this round of NBA playoffs; Miami closed as a 2-point favorite Sunday night, so betting favorites' 20-game straight-up winning streak came to an end.
Rajan Rondo has 77 points, 35 assists in his last three games.
12) Comedian Bill Maher likes to bust peoples' balls on his TV show, but as a new minority investor in the Mets, he has given significant money to owners of the Mets, the hideously creepy Wilpons. This is where your right to be a ball buster ends, when you act stupidly yourself.
11) New Jersey Devils are in Los Angeles for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the first time they've left the eastern time zone since January 14; its the first time they've been on an airplane since May 8.
10) Rickie Fowler was paired with Eldrick Woods Sunday, and responded by shooting 84. Not good to wear bright orange and hack around like that.
9) Daniel Bard became the first pitcher in the last 90 years to walk 6+ guys and hit two more in less than two innings on the mound, wrapping up one of the worst weeks of fantasy baseball I've ever had. Hard to imagine Bard staying in the rotation; he might not even stay in the big leagues.
8) Then there are my Oakland A's, the first major league team since 1954 to get shut out 11+ times in their first 54 games. Maybe they should make a movie about that. Moneyball II, only this time, don't bash Art Howe.
7) Rangers have allowed 26 unearned runs in their last 30 games, part of why they're struggling. A visit to Oakland this week should help them.
6) Angels traded for reliever Ernesto Frieri on May 3; since then, batters are 1-41 against Frieri, with 10 walks and 25 strikeouts. 1 for freakin' 41. By the way, the Halos are now only 4.5 games behind Texas in AL West.
5) In case you were wondering, the odds of flopping four of a kind after being dealt a pocket pair: 407-1. Now you know.
4) Bruins' goalie Tim Thomas is sitting out next season, forfeiting his $5M salary, to deal with "friends, family and faith". $5M still counts against the Bruins' salary cap for next season.
3) Florida State's first two football games this fall are against Murray State and Savannah State; seriously? If this was basketball it would be OK, with Murray State being good, but for a football power, this is a joke. Would it be that horrible to schedule some cruddy Sun Belt team or a MAC squad?
2) Pitcher Carlos Zambrano is a .237 career hitter who hit his 24th homer on Sunday. Only 10 walks with 237 strikeouts, though.
1) David Wright isn't going to negotiate with the Mets during the season, but the word is he's going to ask for eight years, $150M; wonder how much Bill Maher is going to kick in towards that?
Always remember the 3 G's Girls,Golf, Gambling not in any particular order......:2thumbs: