Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack
Pointspreads for the Week 1 NFL games.......
Dallas Cowboys +3 @ New Jersey Giants
Philadelphia Eagles -6 @ Cleveland Browns
Washington Redskins +9.5 @ New Orleans Saints
Buffalo Bills +6 @ New Jersey Jets
Jacksonville Jaguars +3.5 @ Minnesota Vikings
Indianapolis Colts +9 @ Chicago Bears
Miami Dolphins +6 @ Houston Texans
New England Patriots -6.5 @ Tennessee Titans
St Louis Rams +9 @ Detroit Lions
Atlanta Falcons -1 @ Kansas City Chiefs
San Francisco 49ers +5 @ Green Bay Packers
Seattle Seahawks +1 @ Arizona Cardinals
Carolina Panthers -1.5 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pittsburgh Steelers +1.5 @ Denver Broncos
Cincinnati Bengals +6 @ Baltimore Ravens
San Diego Chargers -2 @ Oakland Raid
Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Random thoughts on a spring day......
13) Umpire Larry Vanover has umpired three games behind the plate this season; a total of 8 runs scored in those games. Cody Ross was called out on strikes on a 2-2 pitch to end Monday’s 1-0 Tampa Bay win; I am told Ross took all five pitches, none of which were in the strike zone. Looked pretty bad on TV. No one pays to see the umpires dominate a game.
12) Each umpire gets a report from MLB after they ump a game behind the plate; from what I’ve read/heard from people who saw the game, Vanover’s report won’t be a good one. Am curious to see his next game, to see if he narrows that strike zone some.
11) Lookalikes; Bronx pitcher Freddy Garcia and actor Dwayne Johnson, aka the Rock.
10) When Matt Cain tossed a 1-hitter Friday, the game’s only base runner was opposing pitcher James McDonald; it was only the 7th time in MLB history that a team had one base runner in a game, with the pitcher being the base runner. Last time it had happened was 1986; before that, 1963.
9) If I owned the A’s, either MLB lets me build a stadium in San Jose, or I pack my bags, call Governor Christie in Trenton, and have the state of New Jersey build me a ballpark next to Giants Stadium. One way or the other, I’d get a new ballpark.
8) Colleges should study pro wrestling’s marketing tactics; they put 78,363 people into Dolphins Stadium for Wrestlemania earlier this month; their pay-per-view was seen in 105 countries, broadcast in 20 ****uages. They’re very skilled at making money.
7) Was he kidding? Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz claims not to know which division of the Big Dozen his Hawkeyes are in. Now, the pompous league office named the divisions Leaders and Legends, so that makes it easier to confuse, but you’d think he would know. They didn’t want to go with east/west because they’re not separating Ohio State/Michigan, but with San Diego State in the Big East, who cares about geographic accuracy?
6) My nomination for the worst quarter of NBA basketball in the last 20 years was the third quarter in Charlotte Monday, when New Orleans outscored the Bobcats 12-8.
I mean, if a high school game was 12-8 after an 8:00 quarter, you’d be yawning. This is highly-paid pros playing a 12:00 quarter. Yikes.
5) Jets are going to have separate offenses for Sanchez and Tebow? Yeah, that always works well.
4) One of Bob Huggins’ assistants got an NAIA head coaching job; his place on staff will likely be filled by former Duquesne coach Ron Everhart, who improved the Dukes but couldn’t get them over the hump in a tough league.
3) Its too bad if the BYU-Utah football rivalry goes away; Utes are in the Pac-12 now, and don’t need an additional non-league game that is highly emotional.
For some ridiculous reason, BYU has become an independent, so they really need the Utah game, it would be biggest game on their schedule most years.
2) BYU sees itself as Notre Dame, which is fine, but my question is, why would you want to be like Notre Dame? They’re an irrelevant program that rarely plays in big games, because the vast majority of big games are conference games. Kids want to play in big games, they want rivalries. My opinion is that being an independent has hurt Notre Dame’s recruiting, and no one wins without really good players.
1) Read recently where Vince Young sees himself as a starting QB. My question to him would be this: Would he rather live in Calgary, Edmonton or Regina? CFL is the only league where he’s still a starting quarterback.