Wednesday's List of 13: Random midweek thoughts........
13) PG Burke is coming back to Michigan next year; Watford/Zeller are both coming back to Indiana, great news for those teams, both of whom figure to be in the top 15 in November. The Big Dozen got lot tougher with those two announcements.
12) Utah Jazz signed Blake Ahearn from the D-League; Ahearn is one of the greatest shooters of all-time (seriously, he is).
11) Mets are 4-1, but 1B Ike Davis is 0-15, and the team’s crack medical staff is wondering if Davis is still suffering from jungle fever. Davis was given Tuesday night off, with the Nationals starting lefty Detwiler. Facing Strasburg this afternoon ain't going to help any.
10) Baseball schedule will be much different next year, with the Astros moving to the AL West, and both leagues having 15 teams. There will be at least one interleague series going on at all times.
9) Former St John’s coach Norm Roberts left the Florida staff to go back to work for old friend Bill Self; Roberts fills Danny Manning’s opening, after Manning became head coach at Tulsa.
8) Texas Tech won the national title in chess last two years; who knew? Their whole team all returns next year to defend their title, but they'll be doing it at a different school.
Webster University in St Louis offered them all full scholarships, so the kids and their coach bolted Tech for the Gateway City, and even better, they don’t have to sit out a year like football/basketball players would. The seven chess wizards are all international kids, coming from Iran, Germany, Israel, Brazil, Azerbaijan and Hungary, so moving from Lubbock to St Louis is no big deal to them.
If this happened with a basketball team, it would be a huge national story. Chess? Well, I wonder if the people at Texas Tech think they got rooked.
7) Arkansas fired Bobby Petrino, which means a top 25 college football job is open. You don't see football jobs open up at this time of the year, so it'll be interesting to see how they go about replacing Petrino.
6) My question is this: Does the woman involved get fired too?
5) Ian Kinsler got five years, $75M from the Rangers; only people happier than Kinsler and his agent are Robinson Cano and his agent; Cano is a free agent this winter. Throw in Brandon Phillips getting $72M for six years from the Reds, and it’s a great day to play second base.
4) Washington Huskies’ two-year starter Colin Porter has had to give up football; U-Dub’s offensive line is so messed up right now they’re not sure if the Huskies will hold a spring game, lest their QB or RBs get hurt, too.
3) Former Buccaneer RB Mike Alstott was an assistant coach LY at St Pete Catholic; this fall, he’ll be the head coach at Northside Christian School in the Tampa Bay area.
2) Rams’ coaching staff will have several second generation coaches; John Fassel is the special teams coordinator, assisted by Paul Boudreau Jr, whose dad is the Rams’ OL coach. In addition, the sons of Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams are also on staff, on the defensive side of the ball.
1) So the Reds just shelled out close to $300M to secure the right side of their infield for the next six years. Next question, and a more important one: Are they developing any pitchers?, because for sure they won’t be able to sign any decent free agent pitchers to work in that bandbox they call home. Its critical that some pitchers come up thru their farm system.
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: