You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Thursday's List of 13: Random stuff with best weekend of year here
13) What a year the Knicks are having; first the depressing start, then the Jeremy Lin-led resurgence, now the Carmelo Anthony-fueled funk that has resulted in coach Mike D’Antoni “resigning” (guys don’t really resign, because you don’t get paid if you quit, and no one walks away from that much money). What a disaster.
No wonder they haven’t won a title since 1973. D’Antoni should’ve hired Tonya Harding to take out Anthony with a tire iron, then he’d still have his job. Letting the inmates run the asylum has never been and never will be the right way to do things.
12) Two wild comebacks Tuesday in Dayton; Western Kentucky rallied to win after being down 16 with 4:57 left, then BYU coming back from down 25 to stun Iona. The first game was simply horrendous basketball, but the Hilltoppers gutted it out and get a win. The second game was fascinating; Iona looked awesome for 17:00, then just stopped doing good things—its almost like they punched themselves out and had nothing left for the end.
11) First Four has a definite JV/Varsity feel to it; how bad is the rest of the SWAC if Mississippi Valley went thru the league with only one loss?
10) Loyola Md. coach Jimmy Patsos was once a volunteer assistant coach, earning his money by being a bartender in the Georgetown section of Washington. Not many characters left in college coaching; its become very corporate, but Patsos is undoubtedly a character, and a very good coach. Loyola was 1-27 the year before he took them over.
9) Nebraska has won five national titles in football, but they’ve never one NCAA tournament basketball game. Very curious to see who they hire to replace Doc Sadler, who was making $900,000 as Huskers’ coach, which is low by Big Dozen standards.
8) Greg Schiano had trouble assembling a coaching staff, but he didn’t have any trouble landing free agents, getting three in the first day free agents could sign. Getting Carl Nicks gives Tampa Bay one of NFL’s best guards, and it hurts the division rival Saints at the same time.
7) Raider fans don’t want to be reminded Detroit drafted Calvin Johnson with the pick right after Oakland drafted QB bust JaMarcus Russell. Its not often a prize QB prospect is out of the league as quick as Russell was gone.
6) TCU coach Jim Christian is trying hard for Rhode Island job, knowing the Horned Frogs are going to get their butts kicked when they move up to the Big 12 next year. Christian worked hard to get TCU respectable in the Mountain West and as soon as he did, they switched leagues again, driven by football. Rhode Island is a basketball school.
5) In case you were wondering, the Division I average for making 3-pointers this season is 34.3%.
4) First round games I’m most interested in watching: Creighton-Alabama and Saint Louis-Memphis.
3) So when exactly did Fab Melo become ineligible? Did the school sit on his ineligibility until after the Big East tournament and after the brackets were announced, so the committee wouldn’t knock the Orange down a couple seed lines? It’s a fair question.
2) My Final Four picks: Vanderbilt-Kentucky-North Carolina-Louisville.
1) This is my favorite weekend of the year; just disappear, watch basketball for four days. Nothing else. Hope you enjoy all the games too.
Thanks SS. Gonna go easy as we get started in the tourney and take it from there. Dont like to post too many plays although ya know I play em. So here are a couple more. All of these are also plays in my brackets. I like a few underdogs in the first round. GL