You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Wednesday means softball and bowling so its the List of 13: Nobody asked me, but........
13) Any talk of playing the Super Bowl in London is Jim Irsay’s way of deflecting attention away from the Colts dumping Peyton Manning next month, which will erode his season ticket base some. Think about it; the Super Bowl kicks off at 6:30 ET at night to maximize TV ratings in this country; you play a game in London at that time, its almost midnight local time- that ain’t happening.
12) Ironic that the one time Indianapolis hosts a Super Bowl, and they’re starting over with a new GM, coach and coordinators, and are on the verge of cutting the best player in franchise history. Odd times.
11) Remember how the Falcons failed in several big spots running the ball on 4th-and-1 this year? Well, the scapegoat for that was the OL coach; he got fired, and former Fresno State HC Pat Hill has been brought in to replace him. Hill was a darned good head coach at Fresno.
10) So the football coach at Florida International turned Rutgers down? Would be interesting to know why.
9) When you read articles about why a coach like Greg Schiano would bolt the college ranks for the NFL, it usually comes down to one word: recruiting. NFL is more pure football; now they also get paid more in the pro ranks, but the shelf life for an NFL coach is shorter. Apparently having to suck up to 18-year olds and their families ain’t much fun.
8) Think about it: in basketball, you get 2-3 good players a year and you have a solid program; in football, with most every player redshirting and an 85-scholarship limit, you need to bring in an average of 17-20 kids a year. Watch ESPNU and CBS College Sports today; 11-hour shows dedicated solely to recruiting. Its more work than the actual coaching.
7) Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden was picked 71st in the 2002 MLB Draft, nine spots ahead of Curtis Granderson. Now he’s about to get drafted in another sport, ten years later. Curious to see who takes a chance on a 28-year old rookie QB.
6) Reason #4,009 never to watch the Pro Bowl: Drew Brees tried a dropkick in Sunday’s game. Almost made it, too.
5) An anonymous college AD floated an idea Monday to keep the top 16 bowls the way they are, but to play the lower-tier bowls on campus sites, to get better attendance while reducing expenses. As long as there’s a bowl game on TV from Hawai’i Christmas Eve night, they can do what they want.
4) Kid named Kevin Murphy scored 50 points for Tennessee Tech Monday night, in a conference game; doesn’t happen that much anymore.
3) In case you had forgotten about him, this is Iisiah Thomas’ third year coaching at Florida International. His record? 23-59. Yikes.
2) Breaking down NBA teams by the spread, when they have previous 2+ days off, we find that home favorites are 11-3, home underdogs 3-5, road favorites 10-5, road underdogs 7-10.
That’s favorites 21-8, underdogs 10-15.
1) First major league spring training game is March 2, with half a slate of games the next day and a full slate of games on March 4. Opening Day is April 5, though there are couple games that count before then, but the first day with a lot of games is only 64 days away.