You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
-- Oh no!!!! Dan Orlovsky's wife gave birth to triplets this week, so the Colts' QB missed practice Wednesday. Need him in the lineup down in Jacksonville so the Colts can win and the Rams get the #1 pick. Hope mother and children are healthy, but we need the dad back to work.
-- Georgetown went to Louisville and beat the Cardinals 71-68 at the Yum! Center, giving Louisville its first loss of the season, with a game at Kentucky up next for Pitino's team.
-- Baylor held off Mississippi State 54-52 in game that had tournament feel to it; pretty tense, not the best-played contest.
-- MAC came into this bowl season 4-17 in its last 21 bowls, but they are 3-1 this year after Toledo held off Air Force 42-41 in the Military Bowl, when Air Force went for two points and the win in last 1:00.
-- Miami Heat was down 15 at the half, but rallied back to win 96-95 at Charlotte, with Dwyane Wade hitting winning shot with 0:02.9 left.
-- NBA season is four days old and under is 19-12-1 so far, as teams are getting in shape and developing chemistry on the fly.
Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Things I'm looking for this weekend.....
13) Unusual NFL Sunday this week, in that all 16 games this week are on Sunday, and all 16 are divisional rivalries; doesn’t happen very much.
12) Bengals probably need to win to make the playoffs; their fans did sell this game out; Ravens need this game for their first home playoff game in the Harbaugh era (and a bye). Interesting game.
11) 16 of 35 bowls will be finished before an SEC team takes field, which means that an SEC team will play in nine of the last 19 bowls this year.
10) Detroit/Atlanta are both in the playoffs, but there’s a big difference between going to New Orleans and going to play the NFC East champs next weekend. Lions will fight like hell to win at Lambeau and get that #5 seed, to avoid another trip to Bourbon Street.
9) When was the last time the NBA headliner on a Friday night was Bulls-Clippers? It is this week. Should be a terrific game.
8) Kentucky-Louisville is the biggest non-conference rivalry in college basketball; Cardinals lost to Georgetown last night, but no one in the Commonwealth will remember that result if the Cardinals beat UK. Its a hell of a bad week if they lose to the Wildcats.
7) Can the Colts snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and clinch the #1 slot in next April’s draft? If Indy wins, that noise you hear will be me being happy for the first time this football season.
6) Vanderbilt is favored in a bowl game; seriously, they are. Granted its against a Big East team, but trust me, this scenario doesn’t happen much.
5) There are several conference basketball games this weekend in college ranks; will be curious to see if UCLA can win a game in the Bay Area against either Cal/Stanford, after a dismal pre-conference performance by the Bruins.
4) Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops played college football at Iowa; now he is a 14-point favorite over the Hawkeyes in the Insight Bowl, a game Iowa won LY. Stoops’ bowl record isn’t the best, while Kirk Ferentz is 6-1 vs the spread when a bowl underdog. Will the Hawkeye players be excited to be back in Tempe again this year? (Hey, its better than Iowa State’s game, in the South Bronx.)
3) Since UCLA-Illinois both fired their coach and decided to go in a different direction, shouldn’t they be playing in the Compass Bowl next weekend? I’m just asking.
2) Kyle Orton started this season as the Broncos’ starting QB; the team cut him after the trading deadline, and now he returns to Denver in Week 17 with a chance to knock the Broncos out of the playoffs; this has to be a unique scenario in NFL history.
1) Dallas-Giant game Sunday night is for NFC East title and the NFC’s #4 seed, which comes with a home playoff game. Good theater. Winner breathes a sigh of relief; loser thinks of reasons why they shouldn’t fire their head coach. That’s the world we live in today.
Always remember the 3 G's Girls,Golf, Gambling not in any particular order......:2thumbs: