You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security.
Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
12/18/2011 08:12 PM
12/19/2011 01:27 PM
College basketball notes from the weekend..........
-- Oral Roberts 64, Xavier 42-- Suspensions take a heavy toll.
-- Northern Arizona 69, Arizona State 68-- ASU will have new coach in 2012-13; this just isn't a good fit. Coach Sendek could easily walk.
-- St Joe's 74, Villanova 58-- At this rate, Villanova is NIT/CBI team.
-- Baylor 86, BYU 83-- Great win. Bears are best team in Big X.
-- Syracuse 88, NC State 72-- Orange had 23-0 run, then blew 17-point lead, then won by 16 anyway. Interesting +/- chart, I bet.
-- South Dakota State 92, Washington 73-- Totally baffling.
12/19/2011 01:29 PM
Monday's List of 13: Wrapping up a sports weekend.........
13) Huge blunder by Oakland coach Jackson Sunday; Raiders scored TD on defense with 7:47 left to grab a 26-14 lead on the Lions. THEY HAVE TO GO FOR 2 POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why? Because Detroit won't kick a field goal from that point on, so being up 13 points is no different than a 12-point lead, but a 14-point lead is way better. But no, Oakland kicked a PAT, led 27-14, then watched as Matthew Stafford tore their hearts out with TD drives of 71-98 yards to beat the Raiders 28-27. Thank you Coach Jackson!
NFL teams are worth almost a billion dollars, yet the most basic elements of game management are screwed up week after week. How? Why?
12) Tough day for football in New Jersey, as Giants got whacked by the Redskins at home, getting swept by Washington for first time in 12 years, and Jets lost 45-19 at Philly, trailing 28-0 after 20:03 had been played. It sets up a big Christmas Eve game in Swamp Stadium next Saturday.
11) Put it this way; if Eagles can win out and get to 8-8, they'll win NFC East if Jets beat Giants, then the Giants beat Dallas. It could happen.
10) Why did the Vikings get rid of Tarvaris Jackson?
9) After being 4-17 in their last 21 bowl games, MAC teams went 2-0 on Saturday to get off to an uncharacteristically good start in this year's bowl season. Ohio U beat Utah State 24-23 in the last minute, as QB Tettleton, son of former big league catcher Mickey Tettleton, led the winning drive. Temple crushed Wyoming 37-15 in the New Mexico Bowl.
8) San Diego State lost New Orleans Bowl because of a spitting penalty; UL-Lafayette was lining up for a 55-yard FG to win the game, unlikely as the Cajuns had already missed two PATs, but an Aztec lineman spit on a ULL lineman, hoping to draw him offsides. Officials caught him, the ball was moved five yards closer and ULL made the winning FG. Wow. Idiot.
7) Things got even worse over the weekend at Penn State, as starting QB McGloin was knocked unconscious in a scuffle with one of his receivers, then had a seizure as the result of a possible concussion. Hopefully he is OK; head injuries are scary, but obviously this team has serious problems as the bowl game with Houston gets closer.
6) Murray State's basketball team is 12-0; you look at who they have left to play, and you realize they could easily be unbeaten when March rolls around, and I'm not kidding. As of right now, Racers have played the #98 schedule in America, which is pretty strong.
5) In a span of eight days, NFL Network will televise games involving the Jaguars-Buccaneers-Colts. Not exactly the best way to get customers to call the cable provider to add NFL Network to its basic tier.
4) Five teams were minus-2 or worse in turnovers this week; those teams all lost, by an average score of 35-15. Denver ran ball for 252 yards but lost three fumbles and wound up with a 24-yard deficit in field position.
3) Seattle scored five TDs in Chicago Sunday; two by the defense, one on a 80-yard drive, the other two on drives of 22-29 yards, one set up by a Chicago fumble. Offense gets short fields, your team should win.
2) Buffalo lost its 7th game in row since giving Ryan Fitzpatrick a $60M contract; am I the only cynic who has a problem with giving such a huge contract to someone who didn't get a college scholarship for football? I mean, the Dolphins scored 30 points and they only got three FGs out of four trips to the Buffalo red zone.
1) Here are Sunday's 3rd down conversions, divided by winners/losers:
Winning teams converted 83 of 187 3rd down plays: 44.4%.
Losing teams converted 47 of 154 3rd down plays: 30.5%.
12/19/2011 01:32 PM
12/19/2011 01:33 PM
12/19/2011 06:36 PM
SAN FRANCISCO 49ers PK (moneyline)
12/19/2011 07:37 PM
12/19/2011 07:39 PM