You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Friday's List of 13: Things I'm looking for this weekend........
13) Cowboys have a must-win game against the free-falling Buccaneers in Tampa Saturday night; if I’m Jerry Jones and Dallas loses this game, not many of my football-related employees would have a lot of job security, especially the QB and the head coach.
12) What will first few NBA preseason games look like? Will teammates be introducing themselves to each other as they check into the game?
11) Bears lost their last three games, but catch Seattle team this week travelling cross-country after a Monday night game. Chicago still has to play the Packers; they really, really need this win.
10) Syracuse’s top-ranked basketball team leaves New York State for the first time this season, playing potentially-dangerous NC State in Raleigh.
9) How will Houston Texans play this week, after clinching their first division title, and with DC Wade Phillips out for a while with a medical issue?
8) Memphis-Louisville was once a great basketball rivalry, but conference realignment has left Memphis far behind. Too bad; still not sure why the Big East hasn’t gobbled them up- they took freakin’ San Diego State, no?
7) Who will get more penalties, Detroit or Oakland? Can’t wait to see who the referee is for this game; either the NFL’s best or the one the league is annoyed with the most.
6) Kansas State-Alabama play a 10pm Saturday night game for TV; decent under-the-radar contest. As recently as 2000, Frank Martin was a high school coach in Miami; now he makes $1.5M a year, going 40-24 in his first four years in Big 12 play. What a country.
5) Raven-Charger Sunday night game should be fun; San Diego isn’t dead yet, especially if the Patriots win in Denver Sunday afternoon, and Ravens are playing for home field advantage.
4) Can Buffalo snap its losing streak against a Dolphin team that just fired its head coach? Hard to believe Miami’s players are too excited about spending four hours outdoors in western NY Sunday.
3) Jets are 0-8 in franchise history against Philadelphia, but they’re fighting for a playoff spot, while the Eagles’ season is pretty much dead. Philly is 1-5 at home, in front of a fan base that can be very critical.
2) Which one of Saturday’s three bowl games will be the most fun to watch? The 9:00 game should be interesting; UL-Lafayette is in its first-ever bowl, against San Diego State and its terrific RB, Ronnie Hillman.
1) Patriots-Denver. Brady-Tebow. Ratings magic. Much as it probably disgusts them to do so, Raiders/Chargers are rooting like hell for New England to win.
Saturday's List of 13: Clearing out a cluttered mind.........
13) Memo to directors of televised basketball games: If clock is running, always have the camera on the ball, especially in the last 5:00 of a close game. Never, ever take the camera off the ball, especially to show fans or coaches watching what we want to watch. Trust me on this.
12) There are 35 bowl games this year; in 1969, there were eight, none of which was called the Idaho Potato Bowl.
11) Craig Ehlo, who played 14 years in NBA, and then was a broadcaster when he stopped playing, is now a 1st-year assistant coach with Eastern Washington. He will probably have a head coaching job pretty quickly, if he wants one, which should make the current coach at Washington State (Ehlo’s alma mater) at least a little nervous.
10) I’m guessing additional NFL Thursday night games will be wrapped in between the bye weeks in October, which is OK. Just don’t think football games were meant to be played on three days’ rest.
9) UNLV’s Justin Hawkins also played two years of volleyball in high school. I think schools in the east miss out by not having volleyball as a more prominent sport. Volleyball is a good compliment to basketball.
8) There are ten football coaches in the Big X. Kansas’ Charlie Weis has the 3rd-highest salary. I’m guessing Mike Gundy’s agent might be calling Stillwater about that pretty soon.
7) You know those Fatheads, the big stickers of players you can put on a wall? Company is owned by Dan Gilbert, owner of Cleveland Cavaliers. If you want to buy one, please stop by thespookyexpress.com and click on the Fathead link there. TY
6) Mets signed journeyman lefty pitcher Chuck James this week; once a big prospect with Atlanta, James was 11-4, 3.78 in 2006, but since then is 13-15, 5.08 and hasn’t started a game since ’08. Mets have a brand-new $850M ballpark, but run their franchise like they’re the Pirates.
5) Lot of people in Pittsburgh are very annoyed that football coach Todd Graham left after one year to go coach Arizona State. Making it worse is that Graham informed his players via mass text massage. Not classy. If Graham is smart, he’ll blame it on his wife hating Pittsburgh, whether that is true or not.
4) Pitt Panthers will now have had four head coaches in 14 months. The Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969.
3) Mitt Romney has supposedly raised $10M just in New York, where Jets’ owner Woody Johnson is one of his biggest backers. $10M buys a lot of TV commercials. Can't wait.
2) ACC is going to go to 18 conference games next year, imitating what the Big East does. What it does it helps RPI for league members, instead of playing two more non-league games against cruddy teams.
1) Twins gave Josh Willingham $21M for three years; he hit ball fairly well for the A’s, but he certainly was no difference maker. After 35 years of losing players via free agency, both great, good and average, I’m now numb when a guy like Willingham leaves for greener pastures. Good luck to him. We’ll be just as bad with someone else out in leftfield.
In between Bowl games here is something I was thinking about. Tebow needs to break his virginity at 24. Its about time.
So here are a few I think have a good shot at getting Tim Tebowned
Women Tebow Should Tebown
Ashley Greene: Although Tim was born in the Phillipines, he grew up in and around Florida. Ashley’s from Jacksonville and also happens to love virgins.
Alyssa Milano: Alyssa bangs baseball players like you breathe oxygen, and Tim Tebow took batting practice – hitting 12 home runs in 15 pitches @ the University of Memphis.
Cameron Diaz: I mean, does Cameron need a reason to be on this list? Doesn’t she date every athlete?
Erin Andrews: You know that she’s on her way out and needs some serious inside information on the league’s hottest commodity. Who better to get it from than the man (the myth / the legend) himself?
Hayden Panettiere: She just broke up with Vladimir Klitschko and needs another way-to-big-for-her-small-framed-body stud in her life.
Jenn Sterger: Jenn’s got it in for Tebow. As an alumni of FSU and sworn enemy of the Gators, she’ll do anything she can to ruin Tebow’s life. She’ll swipe his V-Card and never call him back in an attempt to decimate the most loyal man in the world.
Jessica Bentley: This former Playboy Coed of the Week is a smoking hot alumni of the University of Florida. Obviously she’s got an eye on the second-coming, and the fact that she was a journalism major means she’ll do whatever she can to get a good story.
Julianne Hough: No man has had a chance to take this beauty to bed. That’s right, both Julianne and Tim are saving themselves for marriage.
Stacy Kiebler: As one of the Premiere Women Who Wow’d, it would be just like Stacy to leave George Clooney and on to the next untouchable male star. She knows a thing or two how to make a man submit.
Taylor Swift: Taylor claims to be all holy and shit plus there’s even a parody of her song “15″ to the tune of the Tim because of his number.
Susan Boyle: Let’s be real folks, Susan is in need of some sexy time. And so is Tim. She’ll be singing his praises for ages, or until she finds someone else (likely the same period of time).
Well as we get into bowl season the NFL goes on the back burner more often than not. Except this year Restore the Roar is back. Fighting for a Playoff berth for the first time in this century will keep the Spooky interest peaked.
Tonight we go against one of the bowl games but neither of the games are as strong as Temple or Ohio were today.
After the way Dallas played on Sunday night I only hope they lose their remaining games this year if that needs to be said.
13) They have a playoff in I-AA college football; none of the kids seem to be traumatized by it; there are three weeks between the semifinals and the national championship game. Interesting concept.
12) Alabama hoop coach Anthony Grant and Kansas State coach Frank Martin were high school teammates in Florida, now they're both making over a million bucks a year. The two old friends met Saturday night in Kansas City, with Kansas State winning 71-58.
11) Las Vegas is trying to get the Pac-12 hoop tournament; they already have the Mountain West, WAC and WCC. Addition of Colorado, Utah to the Pac-12 makes Vegas more geographically feasible, plus, who doesn't love to go there anyway? Right now, the Pac-12 tourney is always in LA.
10) Attendance at Saturday's New Mexico Bowl was 25,762; attendance at the finals of the Texas state high school tournament Friday was 32,314.
9) 1st hole at the Australian Masters is a 250-yard driveable par-4 that Geoff Ogilvy almost aced Saturday using an iron. Seemed too easy.
8) UC-Santa Barbara has an NBA-type player in Orlando Johnson, who had 24 points, 10 rebounds in close loss at Washington Friday. Big West is going to be decided by the UCSB-Long Beach State games. Good teams.
7) Read somewhere Friday that government spent roughly $75M trying to nail Barry Bonds and send him to jail. Hope that number is way off, since all Bonds got is house arrest, and I'm guessing his house is pretty damned nice. Some prosecutor's ego got the best of him/her.
6) Wouldn't you just love to know how much money Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson got to keep quiet? The guy went to jail to protect Bonds!!!!!!! He had to get serious money to keep his mouth shut.
5) Why do kids jump early to the NBA? Look at Jared Sullinger hobbling around South Carolina's gym Saturday- thats why. If his foot problems become chronic, he doesn't get a big payday. Look at Greg Oden; kid has not played a full season since high school, but at least he got paid.
4) If all my knowledge came from watching late night TV, I'd swear that being bald was worse than having cancer or HIV. Listen to some of those commercials they run- I go get a hat every time I hear one.
3) Butler/Purdue played their hearts out Saturday, but teams combined to make just 7-18 from foul line in second half of Butler's 67-65 upset win.
2) If you have Mat Latos on your fantasy baseball team, your team got worse after Latos was traded from the pitcher's paradise in San Diego to the hitter's haven in Cincinnati. Latos just became a lesser pitcher.
1) Lesson of the Week for you aspiring husbands: Always get a pre-nup. Estimates have Kobe Bryant worth $360M; divorce laws usually give half to each party, which means he will be worth $180M when all is said/done. As I said before, pre-nups can save you mucho dinero.
Its December and the Lions are in a playoff race. God is good, right Tebow.
Lets try and make some more good today with a few picks ahead of us. And to be honest I really dont like the games today
with the wagering interest involved. Who I think will win I dont want to win. So lets see what happens.