You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Thursday's List of 13: Doing some thinking out loud......
13) OK, allow me to vent for a minute. When you hear why, I trust you’ll agree. The NBA has reduced its season from 82 to 66 games, a reduction of 19.5%, so it figures that the NBA package on DirecTV should be 19.5% less than LY, right? Since it was $180 LY, that means it should be a maximum of $145 this season, since $145 is 80.5% of $180.
Am I making sense? Problem is, the greedy bastards are charging $170, a reduction of 5.6%. I will call and complain and see if they negotiate price, but no way am I paying more than $150. I’d rather go without than reward these creeps for their greed. What do you think?
12) Baseball’s All-Star break will now be four days, not three and the All-Star Game may get pushed to Wednesday instead of Tuesday, probably to allow more pitchers to be able to pitch in the game.
11) NFL’s Week 15 is a weird one, with only three divisional matchups. Ton of divisional rivalries in the last two weeks of the season.
10) If Jake locker starts in place of Matt Hasselbeck for Tennessee this week, the NFL’s oldest starting QB will be Tom Brady. Time sure flies.
9) Gus Malzahn took a $450,000 pay cut to go from being the offensive coordinator at Auburn to head coach at Arkansas State. Guy really wants to prove he can be a head coach. Problem for ASU is, if Malzahn proves to be a good HC, he ain’t staying in Jonesboro very long. Seems like no one stays anywhere too long these days.
8) Is it me, or do NHL teams fire head coaches a lot quicker than most pro sports?
7) Major league players will be miked during games next year, which should be interesting. It works pretty well in the NFL. Having a first baseman miked could be interesting, them and catchers.
6) Louisiana-Lafayette is playing in its first-ever bowl Saturday, so good for them; Ohio U (0-4) and Western Michigan (0-5) are each trying for their first bowl win.
5) ESPN’s 90-minute documentary on Todd Marinovich was very well done; it was sad yet interesting, but not 100% sad. Marinovich seems somewhat happy now, and that didn’t always seem like it would happen.
4) 35 bowls in 23 days start Saturday; still seems unfair that Illinois lost its last six games and got in, while 7-5 Western Kentucky stayed home. They should let those two teams play each other next year.
3) Whats up with the NBA? 10 days before the season starts and still a few of the best players have no idea what team they’ll be playing on.
2) When they study Contract Law in law school, do they ever talk about college football coaches? Contracts don’t seem to mean a whole lot to coaches. When Todd Graham leads Arizona State on the field next September, he’ll be starting his 7th year as a D-I head coach. At his 4th college. One year at Rice, four years at Tulsa, one year at Pitt, and now on to the desert. Hope he owns stock in a moving van company.
1) When Pitt hires a new coach sometime later this month, he’ll be their 4th coach in the last 14 months; they fired Dave Wannstedt LY, replaced him with a guy who got fired after two weeks because a domestic violence episode, then had Graham bolt on them after one unspectacular 6-6 season, which ends with a game against SMU in the Compass Bowl in early January. Seems like if anyone was meant to coach in the Compass Bowl it would be the nomadic Graham, who can’t seem to decide where he wants to settle down.
Lets get the start of bowl season rolling with some NFL for tonight.
ATLANTA FALCONS -13
As you all know I am not much into playing teasers and for the most part they are a losing proposition. But did play a few teasers with Atlanta along with some NFL and College Football coming up. They were all 4 team monster teasers. So lets see how they work out. Here is the list of teams I utilized in the monster teasers if you care.