13) Someone explain to me why Jerry Sandusky isn't in prison.
12) Cool setting in San Diego for the outdoor game with Michigan State and North Carolina; game was sponsored by Quicken Loans, owned by the guy who owns the Cleveland Cavaliers and is a huge Michigan State alumnus. He tried to hire Tom Izzo to coach the Cavaliers in 2010.
11) Game was played on the USS Carl Vinson, a huge aircraft carrier with a flight deck of 4.5 acres. But who was Carl Vinson? He served fifty years as a Congressman from Georgia, and was a big supporter of the military. Guy lived until he was 98.
10) Fallout from NBA lockout: Mike Breen was broadcasting Duke game Friday on ESPNU, instead of an NBA game, like he usually would on a Friday night. Belmont is pretty good; we'll hear from them in March. On the flip side, Doris Burke's voice goes through me worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Got reacquainted with the mute button last night.
9) Duke has three brothers on their team, the Plumlees. Its first time since 1958 a Division I hoop team has three brothers (siblings) on it.
8) Love watching games at Cameron Indoor just to see the reactions of the visiting coaches as their team gets screwed relentlessly by the officials. Its kind of like the swallows returning to Capistrano every year.
7) Phillies gave Jonathan Papelbon $50M for four years, as Red Sox are further taken apart. Next thing I expect the Marlins to announce that they acquired the Green Monster to put in their new ballpark.
6) There is good news somewhere!!!!! Nationals' catcher Wilson Ramos was rescued in the Venezuelan mountains and is apparently OK after he was kidnapped during the week. Pro ballplayers are targets of evil down there, because they have so much more money than everyone else.
5) Eldrick Woods was leading after two rounds of the Australian Open (it is summer there), but Saturday wasn't so good; Australian John Senden shot a 63, Woods ballooned to a 75, and he trails by six strokes after the third round of play. He may never win again. Seriously.
4) Pretty cool tripleheader at Mohegan Sun Friday. Three D-I college basketball games, all involving teams from the Nutmeg State. Yale beat Central Connecticut, Fairfield beat Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart beat the Hartford Hawks.
3) Duke hung on for dear life against Belmont, winning 77-76 over a very good Bruin squad. Belmont was a 13-seed LY; this score has to improve their seed by at least one slot, assuming their regular season is similar to what they did LY, when they dominated the Atlantic Sun. Belmont made only 6-19 from the arc, and still lost by a point. Good team.
2) Loyola Marymount went to the LA Sports Arena and handed it to UCLA, beating Bruins 69-58. Shocking score, really surprising. LMU has a fine coach in Max Good, but this wasn't close in the second half. Won't be long before Larry Brown is declaring interest in the UCLA job.
First time LMU beat UCLA since 1941. 19-freakin'-41.
1) Friday was 11-11-11. Happens once in a lifetime. I'm trying real hard to believe that our world is not going crazy, but there is evidence to the contrary.
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: