You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Spooky Breaking Bad Behind the Scenes Friday Thoughts......
– Redskins hired Jay Gruden as their new head coach; he used to be a coach in the Arena League, but quit to go back to playing QB on a different team, probably only time that’s ever happened. Washington will apparently keep Jim Haslett as defensive coordinator.
– Not sure how Bengals’ DC Mike Zimmer isn’t a head coach? Does he not interview well? I heard him talk on HBO’s Hard Knocks, seems fairly normal; he is the only person who has been an NFL coordinator every year since 2000, without becoming a HC, demoted or unemployed.
– Knicks have to trade JR Smith, no matter how bad a loss they take on the deal; he basically gave Mike Woodson the finger when he untied a Philly player’s shoelace after being explicitly by Woodson told not to do that anymore. Lack of respect is a deal-breaker; even if they cut him, he has to go. As I have stated over the years since I coached JR in travel ball none of this surprises me. Although he was a nice kid with a very nice family.
– Gaylord Perry wrote a book that chronicled how he cheated as a Major Leaguer and he is in the Hall of Fame, so not sure how you can keep the steroids guys out. Cheating is cheating, no?
– 16 people didn’t vote for Greg Maddux for the Hall of Fame. It’s a free country and those people are entitled to do as they please, but that doesn’t mean it makes an ounce of sense.
– They’re talking about expanding the NFL playoffs to 14 teams, which would eliminate byes for the #2 seeds. Sounds like a ploy to fatten the network TV contracts, which means it was probably Jerry Jones’ idea.
– If you don’t think big-time sports help a school’s overall profile, consider this: applications to attend Florida Gulf Coast are 35% higher this year than they were at this time last year. 35% higher. Think last year’s wins in the NCAA tournament helped at all?
– Want to feel warmer? Dodgers-Padres are ESPN’s first Sunday night game on March 30. Opening Day is the 31st; LA-Arizona are playing two games that count in Australia before that, so the Dodgers will play three games before 27 other teams play their season opener.
– By the way, I would like a vote for the Hall of Fame; I watch lots of baseball seven days a week for six months. I’m pretty sure I’d know enough to vote for Greg Maddux, at least.