You are using an old web browser. Such browsers do not support modern web technologies and do not offer proper security. Please update your browser or download one of the others suggested for free.
Mozilla Firefox |
Google Chrome |
Internet Explorer |
Thursday's Top Ten: Clearing out a very cluttered mind......
10) So the Cubs fired their manager because the Red Sox didn't make the playoffs? And now Cub icon Ryne Sandberg isn't a candidate to be the new manager in Wrigley? Remember how Art Howe was treated in the movie Moneyball? Like a middle manager with much less respect and input than most managers. Theo Epstein runs his teams like that, so the guy he hires as manager is going to be more obscure than you might think.
9) The NBA season was supposed to start this week; its pretty sad that these nitwits can't agree on how to divide a pretty big pie, so nobody is getting anything right now. Now that both sides are losing money with games being lost, a solution could be harder to come by.
8) Last two years, the teams picked #10 in Big East's preseason polls both made the Final Four; this year's #10 is Notre Dame.
7) As for the teams that switched leagues this year, BYU is picked 3rd in the WCC, Nebraska 11th in Big Dozen, Colorado 10th, Utah 12th out in the Pac-12. I don't think BYU will finish that high in the WCC.
6) If you watched the Ohio-Temple football game Wednesday night, you know that Bobcat QB Tyler Tettleton is the son of former major league catcher Mickey Tettleton.
5) 7 of 12 ACC basketball coaches are in either their first or second year with their current school. An 8th coach, Virginia's Tony Bennett, is in his 3rd year with the Cavaliers.
4) Montana Grizzlies have won four of the last ten Big Sky basketball tournaments, but during that time, they never won a regular season title.
3) WAC lost Boise State this year, loses Nevada, Hawai'i, Fresno State next year, but will add five new teams for basketball. Big changes, but not for the better. All these changes in conference affiliation are dizzying.
2) When I was a kid, I learned math by figuring out batting averages and shooting percentages; God help today's kids. There are 14 teams in the Atlantic 10, 12 teams in the Big 10, 10 teams in Big 12. Houston, SMU, Notre Dame and Louisville will soon all be in the Big East. Louisiana Tech and Idaho are in the same league. How can kids learn anything this way?
1) SEC has abolished divisional play for basketball; they're still playing an unbalanced 16-game schedule, but now teams will be seeded #1-12.