All selections, analysis and thoughts will be posted on the Bowl Express Thread
SPOOKY EXPRESS BOWLING FOR DOLLARS SELECTION AND ANALYSIS THREAD
Random Thoughts for a big weekend of college football
– Eli Manning refused to play for the Chargers after they drafted him, but his backup QB at Ole Miss got traded to San Diego this week, when the Padres got OF Seth Smith from Oakland for Luke Gregerson.
– Feel bad for Nets’ assistant Lawrence Frank getting demoted after Brooklyn’s 5-12 start, but then you hear Frank will get paid $5.3M over the next four years, for whatever menial tasks he’s been assigned, and you stop feeling bad for him. He’ll probably be the interim coach when they mercifully fire the over matched Jason Kidd later this year.
– If you’re a Twins’ fan, you’re glad they opened their wallets this winter, but are you excited that they spent $73M on Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes? I’m asking, not saying there shouldn’t be excitement, but Hughes especially seems more like a suspect than someone who will be a big help.
– I’m no fan of the Heisman Trophy; think it gets too much talk, especially early in a season, but if Johnny Manziel isn’t one of the four finalists this year, then I’m not sure what criteria they use to pick guys. Jordan Lynch went 6-17 passing in a MAC game last week, what would he do in the SEC? Is he hanging 42 on Alabama? I don’t think so.
– LSU QB Zach Mettenberger apparently tore his ACL against Arkansas and won’t be able to work out before the NFL Draft in April. He and the Murray kid at Georgia are in the same boat now, its too bad.
– Golf is an Olympic sport now? They’ll lose whatever credibility the “Olympic ideal” has/had when Eldrick Woods and his co-workers tee it up for a gold medal. Escorts in Brazil should have a big two weeks, though.
– Boston Celtics are 8-12…….and in first place in the hideous Atlantic Division. Toronto would be in first if they hadn’t blown a 75-48 lead in Oakland Tuesday. Raptors didn’t even cover the game as 8-point dogs after leading by 27 in the third quarter. And you wonder why I dont wager on the NBA for the most part.
– NBA teams have very detailed scouting; for instance, when Michael Carter-Williams of the 76ers shoots from 10+ feet away from the basket, he is 29-64 (45.3%) when he shoots from the left side, 12-61 (19.7%) when he shoots from the middle or right, so you play him tighter on the left side of the floor. Information like that hasn’t always been available, but now it is.
– With Giants going to San Diego this week, lot is being made about how Archie Manning wouldn’t let Eli play for the Chargers; had he not done that, the Giants had already told Ben Roethlisberger they were going to draft him, so they would not have taken Philip Rivers, who obviously wound up in San Diego. NFL history in the last ten years would be a lot different.
– Saints’ airplane had troubles Monday night; they didn’t get out of Seattle until noon ET Tuesday, meaning this is a very short week for their coaches/players, with a big game against Carolina Sunday night.
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: