Saturday's List of 13: Random thoughts from Florida where the snow dont fall.....
13) Umpire Jerry Layne worked the plate for both Games 1-7 of World Series, meaning that someone thinks Layne is the best umpire in the big leagues. That somebody probably doesn't live in Texas, since Rangers are now 1-7 last eight times Layne worked the plate in a Texas game, and the Cardinals are 9-2 last 11 times he worked the plate for their games.
I'm not implying anything, just providing statisitics. You decide. Wish I realized this last night Greek.
12) Arthur Rhodes has been in the big leagues 21 years; the first batter he got out in the majors was Gary Pettis, on 8/21/91. Pettis is now first base coach for the Rangers. Pettis' nephew plays for the St Louis Rams.
11) Weird to hear that the last time Ron Washington addressed his team as a group was back in June. Guess he doesn't believe in meetings.
10) Philadelphia Flyers scored eight goals Thursday....and lost 9-8 to the Winnipeg Jets. Highest scoring NHL game since 1996.
9) Former players who work for ESPN are complaining loudly that the NFL has become too soft. Wonder if the commissioner will listen.
8) Memo to Houston Cougars; Letting your star QB throw nine TDs in a 73-34 game against a hideous opponent doesn't make your team look any better. Makes you look like bullies.
7) Underdogs are 10-1 vs spread in WAC games this season.
6) Boise State has asked about joining Big West in all sports but football, so they can join the Big East in football; Hawai'i is going to be doing that next year, which is why Boise asked. Looks like the Big East is going to add Central Florida, Houston and SMU, for better or worse. Don't think Boise will traumatize georgraphy teachers everywhere by moving east.
By the way, Hawai'i will be in the Big West in all sports except football; they'll be an independent in football, not joining the Big East.
5) Auburn scored 34.3 ppg in its four non-league games (3-1); they have scored 14.3 ppg in splitting their first four SEC games.
4) Underdogs covered Arizona's last seven visits to play at Washington; Wildcats are 3-4 SU, with all four losses by 4 or less points.
3) Lousiville's star freshman Wayne Blackshear is out for the year after he hurt his shoulder in practice. Big blow for Rick Pitino's Cardinals.
2) Strikes me as odd that Jerry West/Billy Beane, two of the better execs in pro sports, both avoid watching their teams' games. West's life story sounds very sad; I'll have to get his book and check it out. You'd think a guy as successful as West would have a terrific life.
1) Our thoughts and prayers go out to a couple of D-I basketball coaches, Billy Kennedy of Texas A&M and Mike Montgomery at Cal, both of whom have had medical problems since last season ended.
Stop by to sign up for BetDSI and Bookmaker
Click here to sign up for WAGERWEB
Click here for all your Amazon products:
Click here for all your fantasy sport needs: