03/21/2012 09:23 AM
Wednesday's List of 13: Doing some thinking out loud.........
13) 6.45M brackets were entered on ESPN.com; after the first weekend, only three were perfect. Three. Out of 6.45 million.
12) Ohio State played Cincinnati for the national title in basketball in both 1961 and 1962 (Robert M Knight was a Buckeye sub back in those days), but they’ve only played once since, in 2006, with Ohio State winning 72-50 in Mick Cronin’s first year as UC coach. Dick Vitale wrote some stuff on ESPN.com this week saying its Ohio State that doesn't want to play.
11) Four Big East teams are in the Sweet 16, but with three of them being Cincinnati-Louisville-Marquette, it might be more accurate to note that the old Conference USA is having an excellent tournament (had Memphis/ Florida State in, too).
10) You wonder why the 49ers went after Peyton Manning; they just had a great season with Alex Smith at QB- he bonded with his new coach, most every intangible went their way, and they seemed to have a bright future. Question has to be asked; did the pursuit of Manning damage the Harbaugh/ Smith relationship? Smith re-signed with the Niners, and we all know its a business, but some damage had to be done there.
9) How tough are football players? Patriots lineman Logan Mankins unknowingly played in the Super Bowl with a torn ACL; he had it operated on right after, which is why the Pats signed Robert Gallery this week to play some guard next season.
8) Danilo Gallinari broke his thumb Monday, is out 3-4 weeks, which is most of the rest of the regular season, which cripples Denver’s chances of making the playoffs. This is a year where anyone can win the title; just get in the tournament and see what happens, but this injury really hurts the Nuggets.
7) Southern Illinois wants Bruce Weber back as hoop coach, which makes sense- they won a lot when he was there the first time, which is how he got the Illinois gig. He seems like more of an MVC guy than a big-timer, and that’s a compliment. Illinois wants Shaka Smart; no idea what direction they’ll go in if Smart turns them down.
6) Why is Vladimir Guerrero unemployed? Wouldn't the A's be better off with Guerrero at DH and no Coco Crisp/Manny Ramirez, especially since Cespedes is going to play CF? Hard to believe the Bronx baseball team be improved if they had Guerrero as DH, or are they stuck with having to rest their aging stars as DHs every so often?
5) Top free agent pitchers next winter are Matt Cain/Cole Hamels. Both figure to get ridiculously wealthy if they stay healthy this season.
4) Southern Miss revoked the band scholarships of five musicians who hurled racial slurs at a Kansas State player last week; I had no idea band members even got scholarships. Now after seeing Oregon’s cheerleaders, I’m wondering if they get financial aid. Couple of them should.......lol
3) If the NBA playoffs started tomorrow, which they do not, the first round matchups would be:
East: Knicks @ Bulls; Celtics @ Heat; Pacers @ 76ers; Hawks @ Magic.
West: Rockets @ Thunder; Nuggets @ Spurs; Mavs @ Clippers; Grizzlies @ Lakers.
2) In the NHL, same scenario, matchups would be:
East: Washington-Rangers; Ottawa-Boston; New Jersey-Florida; Philly-Pittsburgh.
West, Kings-St Louis; Colorado-Vancouver; Chicago-Dallas and Detroit-Nashville.
1) Not a lot of enthusiasm for the Metropolitans in the Big Apple. Lousy ownership does that to a fanbase. Mets haven’t sold out their home opener yet. Think even the A’s and Pirates sell out the home opener.